Large Scale Central

Switches

Hello from Oz, John!

We also had Lionel growing up in New York. For reasons similar to your own (we have two grandsons and a big back yard), we settled on G scale.

All of our track is screwed to bricks or concrete pavers. It cost next to nothing because we had lots of bits and pieces left over from various building projects. Digging out and installing a foundation this way is slow (we level everything), but it’s OK if you take it a bit at a time.

After a day at work, I find laying track foundation a good way to unwind. Bricks don’t lie, cheat or steal, they’re pretty quiet and more intelligent than many people.

Since the temp never gets to freezing in Perth, and our soil is sandy and therefore not elastic, the brick and paver approach works for us. How you lay your track should relate to the climate where you live and the type of soil you’re laying the track on. On clay soil in an area subject to freezing, the brick-and-paver approach makes little sense. If, like Bob, you live on a rocky outcrop in the middle of nowhere, using the brick-and-paver method would be tantamount to insanity.

Other questions, like vegetation (check out Steve’s pine needle photo - YIPPEE!) and animals in the neighbourhood (e.g., moose, elk, grandkids) might also have some bearing on the foundation you use for your line, but they’re peripheral. Climate and soil are the main factors.

Good luck, and have fun!

Hey Bruce
Any followup on these switches yet? How are they holding up so far?

Bob McCown said:
Hey Bruce Any followup on these switches yet? How are they holding up so far?
So far so good - but it's just a bit too cold this morning to run a train.

Pansy! :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

OK, thanks. I think Im gonna order a pair of them myself.

Bob McCown said:
OK, thanks. I think Im gonna order a pair of them myself.
OK, Ordered a pair of #8 LH. I like that they take Paypal, too, though their main page doesn't say. Once they get here, I'll mount them on spline, and use them as a test-bed for CTC control.

Hey Bruce
How are you holding the switches to the spline roadbed? I assume a pre-drilled hole and some screws? Got a pic?

Bob, For my homemade switches, I glued the ties to the spline sections and spiked the rails down.

I don’t think I’d do that again; I can’t really make any fine adjustments to positioning. I think I’d just drill some pilot holes and screw them in place like the rest of the track.

Very nice!

Er, I mean the Switchcrafters ones.

Oh. Those.

I haven’t got around to fastening them down. Right now, they free float between the anchored track pieces. I recall trying to use one of my deck screws through the ties and splitting the tie. I need to drill them like I advised you. :wink:

I’ve had good luck just free floating switches between well anchored sections of track. The ballast when placed and settled down seems to hold them pretty well. I’ve only secured a couple of the switches themselves so far because of side to side leveling.

I use small 17 or 18 gauge brads through the holes in the tie plates above the blocks joining the splines on my Llagas switches when needed. I don’t know if the Switchcrafters have such holes but they probably could be drilled where needed if not. The brads become almost invisible and keep the ties from canting unlike a single nail in the tie center.

Richard Smith said:
I use small 17 or 18 gauge brads through the holes in the tie plates above the blocks joining the splines on my Llagas switches when needed.
Like Fred, I am using a wood base (cedar 2x in my case, because my track is well off the ground and I don't want PT anyplace where the grandkids can get at it). I bought a package of 3/4" copper canoe/boat brads. I hammer them in next to the rail between ties so the head catches the rail foot. Seems to work OK. No holes in the ties.