Large Scale Central

Switch Track Compatiblity

Are Aristo-Craft switches compatible with USA Trains track? I thought I read that they are manufactured by the same folks.

Yes.

That goes for the new Bachmann brass track as well.

I’d say there are minor gauge and flangeway issues within Aristo switches that can be easily remedied, and these have been covered elsewhere on this forum.

And, only very slightly off-topic, but not much: my experience with USA switches has been negatory, so I cannot recommend them.

Personally, if I have a choice. I’ll install an LGB switch every time, but there are plenty of Aristos doing service around the pike. I remove the machines/throw mechs from all my outdoor switches rather than let these mechs weather outside. I don’t trust Aristo throw mechs at all.

John Le Forestier said: I remove the machines/throw mechs from all my outdoor switches rather than let these mechs weather outside.  I don't trust Aristo throw mechs at all.
In my experience, the Aristo manual mechs last better outdoors than the LGB ones. That said, I certainly wouldn't use an Aristo electrical mech outdoors.

Me too Chris. I’ve had several stock Aristo #6 manuals outside for 4 years or more, 1 was a problem from day 1, but the other 4 work fine with the original throws.

Yes to your question Joe. Aristo Craft, USA Trains, LGB, and Piko track and switches are all compatible. We have people in our club that have a mix of everything on their outdoor railroads. One gentleman even has Sunset Valley code 250 brass switches mixed in with his LBG track. Sunset Valley makes a clamp type adapter that goes from code 250 rail to code 332 rail.

As far as the stock switch machines, I remove all of them and replace them with Tenmille ground throughs. All my switches stay within reach of the outside of the layout.

Chuck

Chuck Inlow said:

…As far as the stock switch machines, I remove all of them and replace them with Tenmille ground throughs. All my switches stay within reach of the outside of the layout.

Chuck

Ditto.

And Train-Li track and switches are code 332 as well. Add to that the Theil custom switches.

And I would take the Train-Li before the LGB as these have metal frogs.

Thank you all for your learned comments. I needed to hear them.