Large Scale Central

Switch throws!

O.K. I know someone used a barrell latch for a manuall switch , can anyone remember who or how .
The link to the post would be most helpfull .
Thanks
Sean

Someone should remember because that was discussed 2-3 years ago when I bought switch throws from Dave for the layout. Who remembers?

Sean, try here…

http://ovgrs.editme.com/Switches

The address wouldn’t paste. Take a look at a discussion of ground throws from 2007. There’s several ideas here too.

The link works for me. That’s Fr. Fred’s layout in Ottawa. I’m definitely going to use the choke cable idea at the new Indian Hill Junction. I’ve been meaning to try the barrel bolt throws, and bought barrel bolts years ago, but couldn’t find music wire in small quantities until recently at an RC car/Boat hobby store.

Jon Radder said:
The link works for me. That's Fr. Fred's layout in Ottawa. I'm definitely going to use the choke cable idea at the new Indian Hill Junction. I've been meaning to try the barrel bolt throws, and bought barrel bolts years ago, but couldn't find music wire in small quantities until recently at an RC car/Boat hobby store.
You might look in a guitar store, too. Guitar strings are cheap.

Thanks that was just the ticket!! Sean

The Ironwood, Peter’s Pond and Western Railroad has used the barrel bolt ground throws and the choke cables for all the years we have been going to Fred Mills’ layout. They work very well. As Jon stated, the OVGRS (Ottawa Valley Garden Railroad Society) is centered around the IPP&WRR, though other railroads are becoming more prominent. Great folks with great ideas that they are always willing to share.

Steve Featherkile said:
Jon Radder said:
The link works for me. That's Fr. Fred's layout in Ottawa. I'm definitely going to use the choke cable idea at the new Indian Hill Junction. I've been meaning to try the barrel bolt throws, and bought barrel bolts years ago, but couldn't find music wire in small quantities until recently at an RC car/Boat hobby store.
You might look in a guitar store, too. Guitar strings are cheap.
Guitar strings are too fine. Need something quite beefy that will take and hold a sharp bend, but still have some spring. It looks like OVGRS has gone to a standard wire, so the need to use music wire may no longer be valid.

Try McMaster Carr.
They stock everything, including spring wire.

John -

No trouble finding it in large quantities. I just didn’t want 200 1 Ft. lengths that I’ll never use in a lifetime :smiley:

if you want some wire to connect the dead dolts to the switch, just order some chineese takeout, and use the wire from the containers… :slight_smile:

HHmmmmm. Yummmmmmmmmm.

OK then.
Look in the yaller pages for a piano repair shop. They prolly give you a piece.

There’s K&S music wire @ Caboose Hobbies.
http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/index_home.php?manufacturers_id=480&sort=3a&page=1

Page 3

www.ovgrs.org/

I use Canadian Ground Throws exclusively too…will prolly be making up a bunch iin the next few weeks…do we need an article?

Bart Salmons said:
I use Canadian Ground Throws exclusively too......will prolly be making up a bunch iin the next few weeks.......do we need an article?
Yes. It would be good to get your take on the procedure.

Bart, an article on them, here on lsc would probably be a great idea… It would anyone a source to go back to…

I’m still using the tenmilles that I got before…

check out “picture frame” wire at Lowe’s etc.???