Large Scale Central

Switch throws

I’m in the process of installing switch throws this week but I have a question. So far I’m not installing them the same way Ric did but that may change, I want to glue wood extensions on my LGB switches but I haven’t found a glue I’m satisfied with. Has anyone else glued wood to the plastic LGB ties?

Doug:

I haven’t found any adhesive that’s effective on the LGB track material.

I do have a new bottle of Dr. Mikes ACC. It advertises joining Delrinâ„¢. Used it yesterday, and it was effective on my Bachmann wheelsets where nothing else had worked. I’m currently planning to try it on the LGB track. Perhaps this afternoon. I’ll report the results.

I also need to lengthen a couple of switch ties to mount a Llagas Creek 1:20.3 Pettibone-Mulliken switch stand. If I can’t find an adhesive, I plan to cut down some redwood tie stock to insert into the end of the LGB tie. I’ll use a small blackened screw run down from the top. This is similar to the arrangement California & Oregon Coast Railway uses to mount the EZ-Aire pneumatic turnout machines, except their extension ties are plastic.

This screw mount should be strong enough, especially if any ‘left over’ space is filled with something like JBWeld. JBWeld wont ‘stick’ to the LGB ties, but will fill any space and strenghten the interface so the screws should hold over time.

Happy RRing,

Jerry Bowers

Hi Jerry
I’ll be interested in whar luck you have with the glue. I have found Titebond III holds as long as I take it easy working around it. I would like something that glues better.

Doug,

I’ve had pretty good luck with Goop, but I’ve also used mechanical fasteners (self tapping screws).