Large Scale Central

Swale tale

Just trying out a photo load. I’ve been sweating away in the backyard (temps currently in the 90s F), building a new layout. This is my youngest (5-1/2) grandson and namesake, having fun supervising the erection of the support structure for the curve at the low end of the yard a couple of weekends ago.

The old layout was supported on 4x4 posts in deck blocks. It was stable only when the entire oval structure was connected. I figured I’d try something more solid, and even slightly railroad-looking.

Why swale tale? Because my backyard is in large part on a sharply sloping drainage swale, designed to make sure the monsoons drain down to the storm drains on the other side of the chain-link fence at the bottom of the yard.

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/chris_vernell/_forumfiles/Cwmbach/Site0906.jpg)

That large green box back there in the Hydro transformer that prevents me from using a fair chunk of the yard for anything other than growing weeds: I’m not allowed to construct anything within 10 feet. The bits of wood are most of the structure from the old layout, which was in another part of the yard; I may re-use some sections. The survey stakes mark the rough bounds of the new layout. Here’s a view of the swale from the bottom. The deckblock is about 10 feet south of the “trestle bent” and nearly two feet higher; that trackbed section is as-near-as-darn-it level; the deckblock is temporary.

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/chris_vernell/_forumfiles/Cwmbach/Rise0908.jpg)

Where I got to today. The “north curve” will be double-track (actually, main line and siding/loop). I have a suspicion that the apex of the curve infringes on the 10-foot exclusion zone around the Hydro transformer; it might be 9-foot-9 or -10). I await the Inquisition.

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/chris_vernell/_forumfiles/Cwmbach/Northcurve0908.jpg)

And closer up.

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/chris_vernell/_forumfiles/Cwmbach/Northcurve2-0908.jpg)

I’m using construction adhesive as well as screws within the various subsections, hence the forest of clamps, and screws alone to join the subsections, in case I ever have to deconstruct the layout. And back to the first trestle section. I had intended to use 4x4 PT for the base of the bents, but the 10-foot length of 4x4 I bought to cut up for the purpose rapidly developed a corkscrew twist, so I said the heck with it and went with doubled 2x4s instead. And yes, the bubble on that level reads level.

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/chris_vernell/_forumfiles/Cwmbach/Trestle0908.jpg)

Quite the undertaking, Chris. And a clever solution to an otherwise difficult location. I like the trestle bent look. Very original.

As for the 10 ft. exclusion rule, I think you’ll find they mean “permanent” structures such as out buildings , pools, decks and such. In this area, they’ve quit running utility ROW’s through back yards 25 years ago for that very reason. Difficult to access for maintenance purposes, Homeowners use of back yards for pools, sheds, and other things that usually meant re-routing service lines, and if the need ever arose to replace existing facilities, all those things made it nearly impossible to route the new facilities from one point to the next.

I like the trestle look too. Very cool.
Ralph

neato…

Ken Brunt said:
In this area, they've quit running utility ROW's through back yards 25 years ago....
Our house dates from the late '70s ... Quite a few yards in our neighbourhood have these transformers. They replaced the one in our yard a couple of years ago ... brought in a crane and lifted it over the back fence.
Ralph Berg said:
I like the trestle look too. Very cool. Ralph
Yes that is a neat look!

Keep up the good work Chris!

Looking good Chris. You obviously have higher tolerance for the heat than I do. I planned on working outside yesterday and by the time I walked across the lawn I was drenched in sweat and feeling the sun burn developing. I retreated for the house until the job site was at least in the shade.

The trestle look is great. That’s what I used on my extension.
Yours is strong enough to run 12" riders on!

Jon Radder said:
Looking good Chris. You obviously have higher tolerance for the heat than I do. I planned on working outside yesterday and by the time I walked across the lawn I was drenched in sweat and feeling the sun burn developing. I retreated for the house until the job site was at least in the shade.
I used to have a fairly high tolerance; yesterday, I had to take a midday break, and then work slowly. After the break, got one hole cut into the slope to take the upper footings for one of the straight sides of the oval; placed a 12x24 patio slab, levelled it, and put two two deck blocks on top; a 2x3 across the blocks will support the roadbed. I did think of making a low (7") wooden bent, but that low to the ground I reckoned 100+ pounds of concrete would be more stable and damp-resistant. Besides, I have plenty of deckblocks on hand. And that was that; this Englishman ain't mad enough to stay out too long in the sun. Today was simply too hot and smoggy to do anything outdoors; the heat is supposed to break in a day or two, so I hope to get more done in the intervals between rainfalls. The south curve, at the top of the slope, will be in a cutting; I'm not yet sure how deep. Yes, I should run a survey line, but I'll just mark out and dig a trench, and fill it with gravel until I get things level.

The weather this weekend turned out better than forecast, so I was able to dig the trench for the south (uphill) curve. Not a very good photo, but the wretched trench, at its apex, is nearly knee-deep at the outer rim (the inner rim is lower because of the slope). So we go from 24"+ above ground on the trestle to a foot or more below ground in the cutting, to keep the track level. Maybe I should’ve done what my favourite prototype did, and gone up and over on some luvverly grades.

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/chris_vernell/_forumfiles/Cwmbach/Trench2308.JPG)

'tweren’t exactly a doddle, as our soil is muck-clay and rock, which means that every time you stick a spade in you have to pry out a chunk, big or small. Some of the chunks were near the size of a penny paver. Plenty of crowbar work. That’s the pile downslope. Not bad for a 15-foot trench.