Large Scale Central

Sutro Tunnel Model

OMGram …Ho Lee Fuk …I quit !

1 Like

Done !

How old are they?

We can do… The Rosemary House Fairy Festival
then the boy will take them to the park to hit baseballs and after that we go to the pool and take a ride in our vintage VOLVO wagons to the local dog shelter and hang with the doggies for a bit.
Then we come home I make them a meal (whether they like it or not it’s dinner or you go to bed hungry) .

However we load them back into the vintage VOLVO wagon and take the for ice cream as the boy wants it and we even have the flip down 3rd middle (hump) seat in the back .
Then we come back home and the girls are exhausted and passing out like me and if not there is always benadryl

Then we can drink a case of Mountain Dew and snort some pixie sticks while I am (probably the boy) driving them home in the VOLVO wagon and none of them brushed their teeth

Screw the model I wanna come too!!

1 Like

As of this evening I’m done with the track.

The ballast granules are as tall as the rail (from the top surface of the ties), so it’s been a challenge keeping said ballast below the railheads (which are about .12" apart). Even more so, since the diluted glue wants to float the granules away from the track entirely! But after repeated whacks, the ballast is finally covering what it’s supposed to.

Still a little wet (and white-looking) in this shot, but the goal has been to let hints of the ties to show through, while hiding the trapezoidal base of the track profiles.

2 Likes

What else can be said? I’ve got to agree with Rooster on this. But I am very curious on the process and outcome . I have studied you photos and have done Google searches of the area to compare and in all seriousness have you contacted Mother Nature to show her how it should be done???
And I’m challenging one and all to come up with a three word descriptive phrase that hasn’t been used to compliment this masterpiece

1 Like

According to Neil …Rooster has already done that !
:rooster:

Both are Killer builds on opposite polars

“Liu fly Low” , “Nun ting Missed” , “Hun in Limbo”, “Shi dong Guo”,

I just wanna know “Wen Liu Dong” Cliff?

Translation …“When will it be done” ?

Hollywood, thanks so much for your generous compliments!!

[edit] Off work now, and see that my remark was kinda too brief!

So I want to thank you again for your encouragements along the way Hollywood, and thank all you folks for yours as well.

I’m starting to see some daylight on this project. It’s been a long haul, and I truly appreciate having had friends to take the journey with me.

Lots to do still, but some tough things are getting wrapped up. And just in the last few days I’ve had confirmation that other Friends of the Sutro Tunnel will be helping hugely in building the table, sewing the skirt that goes around it, and photographing & printing the backdrop.

Cliff

1 Like

This has been my last scenery weekend, working on building foundation unmasking & cleanup, structure installation, pond & its foliage, a few trees, mansion hold-down cables, and lots of touchup. Nothing’s perfect but it’ll have to do.

I’ve got a long list of detail parts to make and add, but I might send them later, like in the fall. Cuz I need to get to the enclosure build, and then crating.

Cheers,
Cliff

5 Likes

Welp that’s it all my stuff is up forsale … I QUIT!
You have issues Cliff!!

1 Like

<laughing uproariously, barely holding on, gasping for breath>

Cliff, you crack me up.

mansion hold-down cables

that is something new for me.
was that against stealing, or against storm?

btw storm - in northern Germany, between Baltic sea and Northsea we had a saying:
don’t call it a storm, if the sheep’s hair is still curly.

2 Likes

Yeah, but there are things like this project that are pretty close!

Hi Korm,

Yeah, the “Washoe Zephyr” came howling down, with the nice box of a mansion trying to hold it back. So they used cables, the posts (or bollards?) of which are still present, though the mansion is gone.

Similar to the house held in place in the movie/book “The Shipping News.”

1 Like

The vinyl siding is now on the model:

And the prototype for the lights is done. These will screw into holes in the “ceiling” of the enclosure, with a 3d printed housing and nut. There will be 8 of these, with all components sprayed black.

The reason for this housing is to a) hide / recess the lights into the ceiling, while b) being able to point and replace them from above the ceiling (and not risk damage to the model below).

3 Likes

Once again ! What else can anyone say other than you need a hobby but I believe that has been said as well numerous times!

Howdy friends, thanks so much for all the ‘likes’ and complimentary comments Really means a lot.

This weekend has been all about the cover for the model. It’s purposes are to keep little hands from taking souvenirs, keep the details intact, and keep the dust at bay. The cover has to be shipped flat, go together without major hiccups, and be very strong and dust-tight when assembled.

To be sort of dust-proof, it needs a roof, and therefore also has to have its own lighting devices. I’m very grateful that those are essentially done (except for a final topcoat).

I did a lot of cutting & prepping of the cover components, this being the roof (which will hold the light fixtures).

The windows will be 3/16 UV-treated polycarbonate, looking something like this.

Another panel will cover the ceiling assembly, to make things dustable from above.

I hope the PC panels will be ready this week; they’re coming pre-cut from a local plastics house. To make the fasteners and corner connectors work, I’ll need to route and drill the panels. This is the lasered (in multiple pieces) routing / drilling template for the end panels, which I also used to mark and drill the plywood backing for them.

The outer polycarb sheet will have back vinyl sheet applied to make those black shapes. I didn’t want to get into masking and spraying them, so maybe this will work. The profiles match those of the inner plywood backing panels, with I’m using to strengthen the whole thing and to assist with the ceiling and other joints.

BTW, those corner clips are totally UNIQUE on this planet: a chrome commercial product, bead-blasted by Brutha Roosta, and locally powder-coated. If all works according to plan (please Lord!) the PC panels will have routed notches to receive these clips, and produce a perfect ( :smiley:) line-to-line and dust-proof joint. Well, that’s the goal.

I hope, this next week, to get the wood cover parts painted, the PC parts received and routed/drilled, and the assembly underway.

Cheers,
Cliff

1 Like

Datum went that way :point_right:

One suggestion for the vinyl on the covers. If you haven’t planned on coating the inside, I would suggest it. Little hands love to pick at vinyl edges :open_mouth:

Ooohhh… good point, I should have remembered that… Dangit Jon…

With all the parts cut, maybe a deterrent is in order? Cayenne pepper in the adhesive? Model T spark coil wired to a mesh overlay? Retired gym instructor with a paddle?

Or… send the model with a spare roll of vinyl…

:grin: :innocent: