Large Scale Central

Summer Photo Thread

Probably right Forrest. I didn’t look it up, just going from memory. The white class lights may be the same meaning as the white flags. Fred will straighten us out!

In related trivia, sections and extras and green and white flags/lights feature in the September Model Railroader I picked up at our little county seat farm burg’s grocery store yesterday. Incorrect train operation practices caused a wreck on the Ma & Pa in May 1920 because they went by their own local quirks instead of the standardized operating rules.

Class lights are used at night when the daytime flags can’t be seen.

Green usually denotes a second section follows, there could have been several sections, depending on tickets sold.

So now I need to make a bunch of HO scale white flags?

Oh (mumble mumble mumble), sigh.

White flags by day, indicate an extra train, not on the employee timetable…that’s on the head end. (Class indications)

White flags on the tail, may indicate something else on whatever railroad rules you are trying to copy.

Generally, the “Markers” on the tail end are lanterns by night, and flags can be used by day. The tail usually showed RED to the rear, but some railroads used amber.

Also, depending on what railroad rules you are following; marker lights might show green to the side, and front.

David; it’s nice to see someone actually trying to model “Flags” on their models. Flags don’t require wiring or anything complicated, and most people running/operating trains, are not running at night, so flags would be very appropriate, and easy to do.

Some railroads substituted metal squares attached to a rod, for flags. The metal squares were painted white, green, or red. They lasted longer than flags, in durability. At one time, a train was not a “Train” without “Markers bringing up the rear” Today “FREDS” are used…with or without a flashing light.

Sometimes, movements of cars without a caboose were dignified as a “Train” by the addition of a red flag mounted on the knuckle on the last car of the train.

I’m NOT an expert on this subject, but have learned a bit, over the years. If in doubt, always go to a rulebook, dated to the era, and railroad you are modelling. You might be able to borrow one from a local RR museum near you.

Too many people refer to any piece of railroad equipment as “A Train”…this is wrong, although no-one seems to care any more.

Fred Mills

In rare occasions, for longer back-up moves (Not on the employee timetable), the caboose could become the “Front end of the train”. As an “Extra train”, the caboose would carry the class indications, and the trailing locomotive, “The markers”. Red was not usually found in Classification lights on steam locomotives, so by night a red hand lantern was hung somewhere on the front of the locomotive, or a red flag by day.

Here in Canada, the Department of Transport would frown on regular use of this practise, for safety reason, especially before radios became legal (Dependable) communicating devices on the railroad. But it was done…

Fred Mills

I ran some ops yesterday and posted about it on Facebook where my friends complained that I didn’t take any pictures. So just for them, I ran a photo extra this morning, posing at several points along the railroad that are best lit by morning sun. Here is just a few of the 180 pics I shot.

This is the new view from my back porch now that the table and fire bowl are gone…

Same location, from the other side of the tracks. Indian Hill Bridge…

Entering Deep Cut, approaching Fred’s Tomb…

Passing the Walk Landing Trans-Load Facility…

Beautiful photos Jon.

Shane

Great photos Jon and your layout looks great this year. Dan your layout is really looking nice as well. Its a perfect size.

I managed to get some run time in despite the rainy humid weather.

Roundhouse Sammie

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: plant, tree and outdoor

LGB Mogul

(https://scontent.fabe1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/40868935_987576391428913_6177123755832115200_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=a05395510f00bb5afd70a6eff72a1fb8&oe=5BF7BA99)

Some early morning scenes this morning

(https://scontent.fabe1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/40868943_987826018070617_3884960333420298240_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=f7d4e96eda7724ffcca77988cea88690&oe=5BEFCDBB)

Image may contain: plant, tree, flower, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: plant, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: plant, tree, house and outdoor

Looks real good, Shawn.

Wow Shawn, such gorgeous shots… very inspirational!

I haven’t been running trains much this summer, so here’s all I got. This is a staged shot from Monday morning.

I admit this is cheating, because I posted the pic already on a different thread… and the train wasn’t really running… (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

Cliff

Dare I ask, How do I post photos without others having to download it or it not showing? I am trying to post a photo to this forum.

Joe Loll said:

Woodland Railway on Aug. 4th

Joe Loll said:

Dare I ask, How do I post photos without others having to download it or it not showing? I am trying to post a photo to this forum.

https://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/28653/joe-loll-photo/view/post_id/371169

Woodland Railway On August 4th

(With Kevin Strong’s Scratchbuilt Whitcomb #40, and my AMS four wheel flats)

Jersey Moose or perhaps the “Elk crossing” in upper west PA was moved down the Turnpike for political reasons?

Bummin a ride without buyin a ticket…

Wasn’t there a B movie made about the “Attack of the Killer Locusts”?