Large Scale Central

Summer Operations

New Sherwood Park yard is in service.

2 Likes

Nice shot. Maybe, with the help of my grand kids next week I can get mine up and running again. Nature has taken over!

1 Like

Wish I had the weather to be out running, but 110 is just a little too warm! Nice video and all the locomotives!!!

1 Like

Thanks Guys.

Jon, yes they are a lot of work. Sometimes I am overwhelmed by what needs to be done in my backyard, and then I watch a Bluestone Southern video, and am amazed that such a large layout is kept in such nice shape.

Pete, I had heat problems last year, and this year it is non-stop rain. I can’t win, but it is allowing me to get more projects finished.

I’m finally painting the last three SD60f’s. Can’t wait to have them in service with the new RailPro system.

1 Like

You will love the RailPro , the sound is awesome, the ability to link locomotives from different manufacturers is great , easy and fast . About to order another to do an oddly enough CN GP38 I got over a year ago

2 Likes

Are you 3d printing some of these yet?

1 Like

Pete, yes I have my SD75I’s and GP38-2 equipped with RailPro. The sound is the best in my fleet. I have had a little trouble with overheating, so I might need to pick up some of the heat sink/fan units from RLD.

Sean, no, and at this point, I’m not even thinking about it. Styrene is cheap, smooth, and so far has worked for everything I have wanted.

1 Like

Getting closer here. The fresh MOW recruits did a great job pulling weeds and cutting back ground cover to open the line to trains :slight_smile:

I’m sure Rooster will exploit that picture of my caboose at some point in the future :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I love watching your video’s Shane . The loco’s and rolling stock are awesome . I know what you mean about maintaining the railroad , it’s a lot of work. I have 400 dwarf Alberta spruce trees that have to be trimmed every year . By the time fall comes around I get most of them done and then it’s time to “winterize” the line again . Then start all over next year. Fun

1 Like

Well here is a testament to RailPro’s ease of use. My two grand kids, 6 and 8, picked up operation of Railpro in about 5 minutes of basic instruction, and then after walking with them a couple of times around the layout they ran two trains simultaneously around the wye at one end and around the balloon loop at the other on their own for about 40 round trips with only one incident other than minor derailments! I have the top speed limited by the controllers and only using 14.8V batteries. Here they are about to nearly meet at Walk Crossing. The session ended soon after they pushed it a little to far and did collide at this tail switch, but no major damage.

It was great having two identical locomotives and controllers. No fighting :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Fortunately, even on very warm days with my LM’s mounted vertically, I have never had a heat issue. Probably because I am running lower current draw locomotives, at only 14.8V, with much shorter (5 cars/loco) trains than you mainline guys. Yesterday the grand kids ran over 3 hours continuously with no heat issues. It was an awesome low humidity 78 degree day though :grin:

2 Likes

Jon, great seeing the kids involved. Running big trains definitely puts a strain on everything. I’m using 18.5 volts.

Mike, thanks. Wow, 400 trees. I get tired just thinking about the trimming every year.