Saturday morning after breakfast, Kid-zilla and I hauled this project down and really thought about the balance issue. I was pontificating about weights, when he asked, “Dad, can we just put some wheels in the middle?” I had thought we’d looked into this, but we broke out our wheel sets, and he set-to with some LGB wheel sets and a small flat car for comparison.
His tinkering caused me to realize that this was very near to being a workable solution. I remembered we had some busted LIONEL trucks and their slightly smaller wheels in the bit box. After some rummaging, we found an intact truck…
…and test fit the thing with the submarine on top.
It would require us to raise the cradle a bit, so we took the sub and truck out to the track, balanced the boat on the truck, and found it would pass through the tunnel.
Kid-zilla said he had a project in mind for the complete truck, so he grabbed some sideframes and commenced to cut, file, and sand away the broken crossbeam.
Next weekend, we will cut some 1/2"x1/2" scrap to make a new cross beam, mount it to some brass strip, and make the whole lot fast in the center of the carrier.
As the picture below shows, this will require us to put another fender washer or two on the truck platforms to even things out.
We are getting closer! I also told Kid-zilla no more rockets until this is done, as we lack workspace and, frankly, it isn’t nice to leave a project on the shelf in an almost done state. He has said again and again, “We have to use all our skills for this project,” but I think the immediate satisfaction of simple rocket kits has caught his imagination for the moment.
Speaking of rockets, though, in a shameless “Proud Dad” plug, he joined his brother in achieving his National Association of Rocketry Cadet “Mercury” rating this weekend.
Not trains, but modeling nonetheless. He began the journey working on the Triple O, so his achievement, in part, comes from what he learned making things roll along the rails and give purpose to what those things do.
Have a Great Week!