Large Scale Central

Submarine Transport for the Triple O

I have a suggestion and some research if interested. Why not look at Bathyscaphe’s Bathyscaphe - Visual Dictionary. He could paint it yellow or the favorite color of his choice like Amtrak platinum mist (just saying). Then he could do the seams with say electrical tape or some type of striping tape (perhaps Amtrak red,white and blue)? Perhaps add a wiffle ball to the bottom for a cabin or not. Then add a caterpillar drive for silent propulsion, some outer doors for torpedo’s and don’t forget the periscope so that can be the first thing that snaps off and needs repaired numerous times. Only thoughts from a :rooster:

You can buy brass strip with rivets already punched in it. Or you can punch your own with a straight edge and a center-punch.
http://www.philsnarrowgauge.com/Parts.html

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=6888
And a submarine on that forum with the instructions on making rivet strips! [Looks a bit complicated even for me!]

Two common things I have found make great rivets. If you can drill it, sewing pins make nice rivets and are dirt cheap. These are/were my goto rivet before 3D printing. Michael’s and I am sure any craft store should have adhesive “jewels” that are dome shaped in different sizes that are peel and stick.

One ping only Vassely…

One ping only.

2 Likes

Thanks Everyone!

We’ve been busy with Easter-related services and activities. He and I will sit down and figure out a way forward that suits his vision!

Eric

Kid-zilla opted for the flat bead method, so we picked up a couple packets today. He also found a couple bottle caps at the park that could serve as the forward escape hatch and the conning tower (“sail” in modern parlance) hatch. He glued on the bottle caps with E6000, the second-best glue for everything, then retreated to Youngest Daughter’s “Crafty Corner” where he began adding rivets with her hot glue gun.

We talked about adding the prop, and I showed him that the holes for the epee tang are not aligned vertically with the conning tower. He briefly thought about moving the tower, then thought it would work just as well to hide the hold by the propellor shaft’s housing. He found a piece of dowel probably left over from our 2019 Mik build (2019 Mik's - Ka'a Wa'a (Double-hulled sailing locomotive)) that I will cut for him to mount on the stern. I’ll have to figure out how to do that. without ripping apart his work to date. I think I may have to pry off the after epee guard to do it.

I did show him the bathyscaphe, thanks @Rooster . He sees this more as a late 19th century / early 20th century warship, though. To achieve that effect, he is considering multiple colors (grey, dark blue, dark brown) that would be dark but not so dark he could not draw on the torpedo tubes’ outer doors. Kid-zilla has also yet to illuminate me on how he wants to mount the rudder and planes. We shall see. I did nix the idea about using pistol ammunition to simulate torpedoes stacked for transport, as a.) I don’t own a pistol, and b.) this seemed contrary to good safety!

No progress on the disconnects. They have to wait until the boat is a bit further along so that we can account for prop, planes, and rudder.

Updates as merited!

Eric

2 Likes

Adventure Force 100-Dart Refill - Works with All Adventure Force Blasters and most Standard NERF Elite Blastershttps://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/3220b51f-16f0-46db-b94b-0cb05d546351.ff808f9da7d2214d5cb320a14e7dd809.jpeg

Or similar

Kid-zilla approves, Dave!

Update:

Busy weeks for all hands, but desultory “riveting” continued. No pictures this time! He says he will try to finish the “rivets” this week.

Have a great week!

Eric

Update:

Kid-zilla applied the last of the rivets today. Here is the last one going in place followed by a picture of a happy naval architect.

Kid-zilla said the texture and shape evoked both Admiral Yi Sun-shin’s “turtle ships” and turtles in general, so this boat is now PCU (pre-commissioned unit) Turtle. This, of course, earned him an unasked for lecture on the original Turtle, which rebels employed against the Royal Navy early in the War of Independence.

Back to the project! Kid-zilla He offered the following shots to document the scope of his work:

He did let me know that the hot glue was not a perfect adhesive for this project and noted that he sometimes had to glue on the rivets twice.

Next, I will help him cut and mount the shaft column, prop, and control planes. This is really the only phase where I fear I may have to approve all proposals to ensure feasibility and durability. Once that is done (which will not be this weekend), we will give the whole thing a coat of grey primer. He is leaning towards a dark blue for the final coat, and he has discussed some exterior detail parts. I suspect the latter will become more fixed - and more numerous - as the boat goes from construction to fitting out!

With the boat’s size and shape now more readily apparent, he has started to mentally draft the shape of the train car(s) that will carry it, and he discussed plans for a cradle and tie-downs. I’ll see if I can get him to commit some of those ideas to paper.

Thanks for following along and for encouraging him to keep at it!

On Behalf of Kid-zilla,

Eric

P.S. I did put a rocket kit on his shelf and told him he cannot start until this project is finished! That has been a nice source of external motivation!

2 Likes

Great job Kid-zilla. And KZS Turtle seems like it is a fitting name :sunglasses:

It looks fantastic but he should not blame the hot glue gun and just lay off the Corona before applying the rivets! However the Corona lid does make an “Excellent” hatch!

Thats awesome. Hats off to kid zilla. Not sure how I feel about such a young guy developing a beer habit but hey we all have to start some time.

But that would make for an interesting MIK item to build from.

What impressed me in all reality was that he was simply walking along, spotted the bottle caps, and saw the application. Scrounging in the best sense of the Mik!

1 Like

Construction talent has already passed me up, and in a few years he will be banned from the MIK challenge for winning 5 years in a row ! Way to go KZ

2 Likes

Thats a true scratch builder. When you start seeing the entire world and asking how I can use it on a model

1 Like

I saw these this morning and they seemed appropriate:

3 Likes

I think of all the kids he may the first to make a solo attempt at the Mik!

2 Likes

I would love to see any one of your kids join in. But kid zilla at least at this point seems bit by the bug.

Eric, I thought of you and your fam when I saw this, so I have to post.

1 Like