Large Scale Central

Subjective question on sound

I’ve been reading about some folks creating an enclosure of various configurations for the speaker. Does it really make that big of a difference? I will be using the Phoenix P8’s. I understand this is a very subjective question, but some of my units are just real tight on space, the Bachmann 2 truck, Shay, Climax and Heisler. The others will be tender installs so more potential room.

In a word, yes. You want to put some type of enclosure around the back of the speaker and it will pay off in big dividends in terms of volume and bass response.

1 Like

And it doesn’t need to be large. The number one purpose is to keep the waves from the back of the speaker from escaping and cancelling out waves from the front of the speaker. I did this in my Shay tender…

2 Likes

You just need to ensure that there is no direct path through the air from the front to the back of the speaker and you will then get a substantial improvement.
Further improvement is possible by optimising the path from front to back to give you a “bass reflex” speaker but it gets complicated and you probably don’t want to go there.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MylocoSound

2 Likes

So an enclosed tender with no holes except the speaker grill has the desired effect.

Doubtful. First of all, tender shells tend to resonate. Second, unless you seal all joints with silicone or hot glue, air will leak.

For some, both of the above will not be an issue. They either can’t hear the problem, or don’t care. Folks today are conditioned to listen to highly compressed digital audio files played through tiny cell phone or tablet speakers. Not me. 500 watt 5.1 audio system is my primary listening equipment!

I guess what I need to do is try to rig up something and see each way for myself. Thanks to call for input and things to think about.

1 Like

There’s a bunch of joke opportunities there, but I’m having trouble picking the best one…

Deaf Cliff
:grin:

1 Like

Correct.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

I have not used speaker enclosure’s on any of my diesel speakers installs with Rail Pro. I did buy good speakers from RCS Don S. and my sound I feel is superior and no distortion that I can hear. I guess the only enclosure is the body shell on my diesels.
trainman