Large Scale Central

Structures on a scale of 1:1

Is building structures on a scale of 1:1 a good compromise considering the varied scales of Garden Railroads?

I’m sure your wife would greatly appreciate a 1:1 house to live in rather than a 1:29 one. 1:1 = the real thing. Everything else is expressed as a ratio to 1.

Bill,
the majority of kit structures on the market are in the range of 1/22.5 (Pola/Piko) - 1/24 (Aristocraft), with the occasional 1/32 scale kit from Piko (from memory). I am not aware of any other common scales that structures are built to. Lewis Polk has commented on the suitability of his 1/24 scale structures when operating 1/29 scale. Not all houses or buildings are a standard size, so unless modelling a particular structure then scale chosen is a compromise.

Pretty much Doors are the damming thing with structures…and that when compare to peeples…as long as yadon;t gotta an average size dude head and shoulders above the top of the door right out front where folks can see him, anything is fair game…“Cheat To Win” is our motto…Forced perspective and all that…

Best solution: measure what you would like to build or get the drawings, then build to the scale you want.

BTW the “1:22.5” PIKO or POLA and “1:24” stuff is also approximated, most often quite a bit smaller than advertised: typical example the “Susch” Station from Pola. But it still fits the “That’s cute” scale. :wink: :slight_smile:

Bill Gebhardt said:
Is building structures on a scale of 1:1 a good compromise considering the varied scales of Garden Railroads?
sorry for the confusion, what I meant is 0ne ich to one foot
Bill Gebhardt said:
Bill Gebhardt said:
sorry for the confusion, what I meant is 0ne ich to one foot
That will be way too big; 1:24 aka 1/2"/ft would be more like it.

1:12 is way too big (that’s the scale of most dollhouses). 1:24 is a far more appropriate scale unless you’re running only 1:20.3 and then it looks a bit small. I’m running 1:22.5 - 1:29 so 1:24 is close to the middle. There are a good amount of scratch buildings supplies and kits for bashing available in 1:24 as well as diecast cars and figures. Click on my website button on the left to see some of my buildings.

-Brian