Large Scale Central

Streamliners at Spencer

Sweet !

The PA looks like it is doing a 100 mph stationary. Beautiful loco

More to come shortly.
I’d add text with the photos, but the text gets jumbled up, chopped off, and moved all over.
The text looks good in the editor, and in the preview…but goes all to hell in the post.
Ralph

No words are necessary…:wink:

Finally got the time to watch the videos and droll over the pics. Excellent Ralph, thanks for posting these

For this photo dump, we’re stepping back in time :wink:
Ralph

Great Pics. Good B/W conversions. I like the 4th one down, in the trees, the best. It looks the least staged, like you were jest there and shot a train as it was coming on by.

Nice pics Ralph. I’ll need to get up to Thomaston this summer to grab a few pics of 2019 while she’s still in fresh paint…

Dave Taylor said:

Great Pics. Good B/W conversions. I like the 4th one down, in the trees, the best. It looks the least staged, like you were jest there and shot a train as it was coming on by.

Thanks Dave,
I like that shot also. The tree branches obscure the incorrect road names on the consist :wink:

With the huge crowd, it was very difficult to get photos without people interfering in the shot.
It was also very hard to get photos without something “modern” in the frame.
With a lot of effort, I overcame these obstacles on several dozen photos, out of several hundred.
Ralph

Ralph Berg said:

With the huge crowd, it was very difficult to get photos without people interfering in the shot.
It was also very hard to get photos without something “modern” in the frame.

That’s what Photoshop is for!

What it really looked like…

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/EBTTruck-640-Org.JPG)

After some processing the people and flagpole are gone…

And finally remove the road paint and back-date with B&W…

Admittedly, my Photo Shop skills are not the best, but if you don’t spend too much time staring, it 's almost believable!

I don’t have Photoshop…or the time to doctor hundreds of pictures :frowning:
I’d rather spend my time on the adventure!
I can’t keep up with posting photos and basically “raw” videos, as it is.
But, you did a nice job on that photo.
I just have to do it the old fashioned way :wink:
Ralph

I don’t usually have time for it either, but once in a while on a cold winter morning, it’s a fun way to kill a few hours.

And yes, I’d rather spend my time on adventures too - unfortunately most of the really cool adventures are closer to you than me.

Nothing wrong with old fashioned :slight_smile:

Dave Taylor said:

And yet, it is probably the one that Ralph spent the most time getting just right. BZ, Ralph!

Jon et All. One of the key factors that give away a modern conversion of an image is “The Look”. If you study old pics and the equipment that they were taken with, One of the things from old film is the grain factor of old films. The other is the ability to capture fine detail, therefor the sharpness of the original neg. And then the tonal range (read: number of different grays that the film could record ) there by giving the shadow areas image ( which is why the zone system was created by Ansel A.).

Old cameras did not create razor sharp images, and the one great thing of modern camera is just that.

The thing I teach in class for better B/W conversion: Soften the image a bit, Cut back on the contrast (flatten), and add a touch of grain.

I shot a 180 deg cirkut image of all the D&S locos with crews, with a great razor sharp 8x10 inch Schnider, and the image was right on, but the look was all wrong, we went back, reset the pic and I used a 1915 lens, and the look was right.

Great pics of awesome locos! My favorite is that silvery Burlington engine.

Ray, the E5. Yes, I like that loco too. Someday I hope to have one in 1:29th scale.

Another video from the Streamliners event.
Ralph

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHcdqXOLNY8[/youtube]

Love the sound these old units make.

If I didn’t know any better I’d of thought they stole this horn off a tug boat :slight_smile:
Ralph
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHecYSAWfmE[/youtube]