Large Scale Central

Steel on top of Wood

Here’s an interesting pic I scanned out of one of my books. It is a steel thru truss on top of wooden trestles. It’s (was) on the Kettle Valley RR north of Colville, Wa. near the Canadian border. Like I mentioned on another thread on books for reference: There is a prototype for everything. TOG

Could that picture have been taken during the construction of the bridge? Lots of cribbing is used to hold things up until it is all assembled and put under stress load.

It most likely was built to hold the bridge during construction and then just left. They did that type of construction here in Spokane during the early part of last century. There were several elevated tracks built on trestles and then backfilled with dirt burying the trestles. Kind of the same idea with the ladder method we use.

Ric Golding said:
Could that picture have been taken during the construction of the bridge? Lots of cribbing is used to hold things up until it is all assembled and put under stress load.
Not likely, Ric. It was taken just prior to the abandonment of the Kettle Valley RR. It had been in use for quite some time.

TOG

Wow, that is really weird!

John Bouck said:
Ric Golding said:
Not likely, Ric. It was taken just prior to the abandonment of the Kettle Valley RR. It had been in use for quite some time.

TOG

Did they replace the original trestle with a steel bridge and simply leave the old trestle in place rather than dismantle it?

JB

There is a picture of a similar bridge being erected on the KVR in the Barrie Sanford book. Caption reads “… Wooden false work supports the steel truss members until the whole span is completed. …”