Large Scale Central

Status of LGB product availability?

A short visit to a long-time model railroad store in Pasadena, Calif., brought some surprizes:
LGB Anti-Corrosion paste (tube) $25.00, no LGB freight cars under $125.00, the smallest piece of track (4") was $4.75 ea.

Has anyone any insight as to what LGB products will be regenerated by Marklin – and what is or will be the role of LGB of America? Perhaps easier, which parts and accessories, will NOT be produced?

Further, in the recent Garden RR’s two page “newsletter” ad from RidgeRoad, there was comment that they had gone directly to some of LGB’s vendors to have some products made. Which ones were not identified. Is this a regimen to be replicated by other retailers?

In short, from those who work with LGB, any insight as to what of the vast LGB catalogue will be again be made available?

Thanks,

Wendell

First, Wendell, lets let Marklin raise LGB from the ashes. It will take a while. That hobbyshop is gouging and counting on people to be in a panic. I’m sure that 2 years down the road everything that LGB made…as far as parts will be available either through LGBoA or an aftermarket manufacturer. To my knowledge there are several vendors that are getting parts from the outsource manufacturers until Marklin can ramp up and provide them through it’s own network. LGBoA will be the place to go to get any LGB products that are produced by Marklin.

Wendell,

Again you are asking the wrong people!! You need to ask Marklin or LGB of America…

BulletBob

Warren Mumpower said:
First, Wendell, lets let Marklin raise LGB from the ashes. It will take a while. That hobbyshop is gouging and counting on people to be in a panic. I'm sure that 2 years down the road everything that LGB made..as far as parts will be available either through LGBoA or an aftermarket manufacturer. To my knowledge there are several vendors that are getting parts from the outsource manufacturers until Marklin can ramp up and provide them through it's own network. LGBoA will be the place to go to get any LGB products that are produced by Marklin.
Interesting comment I read on a forum today: the agreement that LGBoA signed with LGB®Märklin supposedly expires at the end of [b]this year[/b]. Hmmm if that is a fact, that would mean that all the distributors and dealers got the same deal.
Bob Burton said:
Wendell,

Again you are asking the wrong people!! You need to ask Marklin or LGB of America…

BulletBob

Bob,

Wendell likes to pose these questions and there is no harm in asking. Interesting questions also show up on the German fora, not everyone takes what is being dished up as the True Gospel. Must be a result of too much “snowy fluff” in the past that makes people so skeptical.

BTW on another but related note: Part of the LGB presentation at the 2007 Nürnberg Toy Fair was a “preview” of the RhB Ge 6/6" and RhB Ge 4/4’ as “planned production”.
Well, this after Kiss had a real success with the same engines in 2006. Kiss then decided that they would produce another batch and delivery would be 4th quarter 2007 (right about now). There will be a slight delay … Kiss received four times the volume of orders that they had anticipated!!! That includes yours truly - who “never ever” pre-orders anything - having one of each on order. :slight_smile: :wink: :slight_smile:

Wendell,
reassuring that Ridge Road is not riding the price gouge route. They still have their LGB products at pre-catastrophe prices. Considering all the marketting ‘hype’ of recent times with distribution deals being made, things have been very quiet when it comes to future LGB/Marklin production information hitting the streets.

Tim Brien said:
Wendell, reassuring that Ridge Road is not riding the price gouge route. They still have their LGB products at pre-catastrophe prices. Considering all the marketting 'hype' of recent times with distribution deals being made, things have been very quiet when it comes to future LGB/Marklin production information hitting the streets.
Tim,

Same applies to info in Germany and some of the feedback from the shows has been between hilarious and pathetic.

Bob Burton indicated I am asking the wrong people and I need to ask LGB of America or Marklin.

OK, this is a formal, and clearly stated request for information on product status. To pretend managers of either company do not read this site is juvenile.

Any call I have made to LGB of America is understandably not to those who report policy and the answers are general. Afterall, they are speaking to one person not this group.

If the forum report Hans referenced (above post) is accurate, LGB of America’s role with LGB products is at the discression of Marklin. Again, if accurate, this tentative corporate relationship may be why we have heard nothing from either Marklin or LGB as to what will actually be the product line.

So any spokespeople from either LGB or Marklin wishing to address this group of large scalers – your customers?

Obviously, Bullet Bob and the rest of us would like to hear from you!

Wendell

They would be crazy to post on this forum. John Wilkes Booth is waiting in the wings!

Jack Lynch posts regularly at another place, but I doubt if he would even answer there…and I’m sure that if anyone knows, he would.

When THEY want you to know, they will tell you! Anything else is rumor mongering. As we really don’t know any more than what you know there isn’t anything to intelligently discuss. Everything else is speculation.

John Joseph Sauer said:
They would be crazy to post on this forum. John Wilkes Booth is waiting in the wings!
Did you buy a gun?? :lol:
Wendell Hanks said:
Bob Burton indicated I am asking the wrong people and I need to ask LGB of America or Marklin.

OK, this is a formal, and clearly stated request for information on product status. To pretend managers of either company do not read this site is juvenile.

Any call I have made to LGB of America is understandably not to those who report policy and the answers are general. Afterall, they are speaking to one person not this group.

If the forum report Hans referenced (above post) is accurate, LGB of America’s role with LGB products is at the discression of Marklin. Again, if accurate, this tentative corporate relationship may be why we have heard nothing from either Marklin or LGB as to what will actually be the product line.

So any spokespeople from either LGB or Marklin wishing to address this group of large scalers – your customers?

Obviously, Bullet Bob and the rest of us would like to hear from you!

Wendell

Wendell,

Of course that is at Märklin’s discretion. I don’t know of a manufacturer or producer who could be forced to sell to anyone he doesn’t want to sell to.

In short we just have to wait how things pan out, all that “stuff” that is supposedly “on the way” will show up on the shelves sooner or later. In the meantime: Plenty to keep working on.

PS the proof of the pudding will be the Nürnberg Toy Fair, that is approx. 3 months from now, it is reasonable to assume that Märklin will have a firm production schedule by then. You better believe that every buyer who goes to NTF will want to know when things will be delivered. BTW there has been a provisional schedule floated in Germany, but as we all know: that means squat as far as NA is concerned. It’s wait and see!

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
John Joseph Sauer said:
Guess that would make two of us, eh?
John Joseph Sauer said:
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
John Joseph Sauer said:
Guess that would make two of us, eh?
No, it would make you THE ONE. :D

I’d rather not waste the money and buy model railway supplies instead. There is always one more thing one needs to get projects finished. :wink: :slight_smile: Tomorrow it will be : more paint!

Wendell Hanks said:
A short visit to a long-time model railroad store in Pasadena, Calif., brought some surprizes: LGB Anti-Corrosion paste (tube) $25.00, no LGB freight cars under $125.00, the smallest piece of track (4") was $4.75 ea.

Thanks,

Wendell

Wendell, well for one thing I know which store this is, and large scale is far from thier forte.

I suspect they have such consisant stock and the high prices because its mostly the same stock they had on hand before the bankruptcy, it simply hasnt sold much. If you noticed they still have a Bachmann Climax in the display case…for full MSRP. No wonder its still there.

Its their choice to sell for what price they decide but as we all know in the large scale universe anyone who decides top sell for full MSRP is going to get their lunches eaten by the online houses like San Val or RRS. Thats just a fact of life. HO and N are their bread and butter, I sometimes wonder when they will finally drop LS from their product line completely.

While I do like this store alot and the people who work there, for LS, they are 90% LGB only, so my purchases are limited to books, paint, and scratchbuilding supplies. This hobby is expensive enough as it is, if I had to pay full MSRP for everything, I would have never have gotten into it in the first place.

As for LGB/Marklin’s catalog? We will have to wait to see what the Germies decide is going to be important enough to issue in this first round of new product. It will be very interesting…VERY interesting indeed, to see what, if any, US profile stuff gets issued next year.

Personally I hope the Porter gets reissued again. Can’t have enough Porters :wink:

Quote: “John Joseph Sauer wrote:
They would be crazy to post on this forum. John Wilkes Booth is waiting in the wings!”

To equate a deceased assasinated president of a country with the importance of the president of an almost defunct company is amusing. If they are unable to stand the heat, then maybe a nice quiet alternative hobby might be more to their liking.

The ‘boys’ have always been vocal when they had something to say that might benefit them. Nothing to say equates to no news at all. So much for distribution deals being made. Of course, it would be interesting as to who actually went ‘hand in cap’ to whose office, with their head bent low to make such deals.

Tim,
Marvin has been trying to deal himself into some sort of relevance in Large Scale for quite some time now.

So far unsuccessfully.

Tim Brien said:
Quote: "John Joseph Sauer wrote: They would be crazy to post on this forum. John Wilkes Booth is waiting in the wings!"

To equate a deceased assasinated president of a country with the importance of the president of an almost defunct company is amusing. If they are unable to stand the heat, then maybe a nice quiet alternative hobby might be more to their liking.

The ‘boys’ have always been vocal when they had something to say that might benefit them. Nothing to say equates to no news at all. So much for distribution deals being made. Of course, it would be interesting as to who actually went ‘hand in cap’ to whose office, with their head bent low to make such deals.

With all of the conjecture and cynicism that goes on here would you really expect a manufacturer to make thier business dealings public on an internet forum?
Product is being delivered to LGB’s NJ warehouse so it’s rather obvious that they’ve come to an agreement. It’s really no ones business other than the two parties involved what the terms of that agreement might be.

As far as the reference to an assasin it was tongue in cheek but there are folks out there (and they know who they are) that revel in any chance to take a “shot” at certain manufacturers.

John Joseph Sauer said:

With all of the conjecture and cynicism that goes on here would you really expect a manufacturer to make thier business dealings public on an internet forum?
Product is being delivered to LGB’s NJ warehouse so it’s rather obvious that they’ve come to an agreement. It’s really no ones business other than the two parties involved what the terms of that agreement might be.

As far as the reference to an assasin it was tongue in cheek but there are folks out there (and they know who they are) that revel in any chance to take a “shot” at certain manufacturers.

It could be worse, we could be discussing what scale we expect from LGB® Märklin on new products. :smiley: :wink: :smiley: Instead we buy what fits our scale from whichever manufacturer produces it to our liking.

The terms of the agreement are apparently just like everyone else’s, in business generally referred to as a “level playing field”. :slight_smile:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
John Joseph Sauer said:

It could be worse, we could be discussing what scale we expect from LGB® Märklin on new products. :smiley: :wink: :smiley: Instead we buy what fits our scale from whichever manufacturer produces it to our liking.

The terms of the agreement are apparently just like everyone else’s, in business generally referred to as a “level playing field”. :slight_smile:

Some of us expect the product line to continue much the same way as it has since 1968. Others will continue to complain that it doesn’t live up to THIER standards.
My opinion is if it doesn’t suit your needs or live up to your expectations- Don’t buy it !