Large Scale Central

Stainz Modification Inspiration Photos

I have an older Stainz from the early 80s that I would like to customize and was hoping you those of you that have modified your Stainz would like to share. I don’t have a vision, just have an extra Stainz that is missing various parts and feel comfortable messing around with it.

I’ve searched this and other forums and seen various posts about ‘Anglicizing’ and other modifications.

I recall several people making them into something like a Forney by adding a rear truck and some kind of half tender. Something like this IMG_7207

Ed,

Bill (@Bill_Barnwell ) is a master basher when it comes to old LGB locos. He may have a trick up his sleeve. Also, there is (was?) a FaceBook group dedicated to STAINZ bashing and collections. @GAP turned a STAINZ into an Australian cane loco. A quick bit of web puttering showed the STAINZ 'bashed into all sorts of locos in multiple scales, to include a triplex, a Garrett, and a steam powered rail bus! Though they are underweighted and do not run well, we took a humbler approach and married new and second hand STAINZ chassis to old LGB m2075 boilers ( Rehab of the Missile Sponges Part the Second - Christmas Thomas).

Good luck, and I look forward to following your upcoming project!

Eric

1 Like

Not sure where you want to go with it but my friend produces a Stanz conversion kit using the drive to make it a 7/8ths version. Has great detail, especially the backhead. I haven’t built mine yet. Just an idea.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1166618502/78ths-lgb-stainz-conversion-kit?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=backshop&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&sca=1&sts=1&organic_search_click=1