Large Scale Central

Spring Startup

Finally got a start on the spring chores for the railroad today. Checking track and switches, re-ballasting, roadbed repairs, installing bridges, and general cleanup of Winters clutter.

The line is all clear and operating flawlessly from the Redding yards out as far as Smith Camp and will continue to do so, I’m sure, until the first guest shows up. :smiley:

No video but a couple of picts.

This combination is my widest/tallest engine and my most fumble footed car so if they make it through everything else is a breeze.

Still hundreds of feet to go, hopefully not to many problem areas will crop up.

3 Likes

Rick,

There’s a lot of bridgework going on there. I’m facing some major bridge building and been advised to just put something in and replace it later.

I have to thank @Eric_Mueller for that advice as this week we are back in the garden (without a Kubota) doing just that. But I would like have a go at devoning some bridge options while I’m in the garden.

Which bridge was:

• the easiest to build?
  • most satisfying to build?
  • the most difficult to build?
  • the one requiring the most maintenance?
  • the one you would you never build (again)?

Did you build to prototype or use the 10 foot rule?

Looking good.

I’ve had mine running since a nice stretch of early spring weather in March. Had to rebuild some switches and level some track, but now running better than it was in the fall. Weather since has been mostly wet, cool and gloomy. This weekend was better so I started weeding while the annuals are still just peeking out. The Dandelions are prolific!!!

Was going the do spring leaf clean-up over the weekend, but never got motivated to put the back pack blower on. This weekend is the train show in Springfield, so another weekend will be lost :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure the last two bridges are welded steel bridges from an old bridge making company from years past.

Eagle something?

And the arch bridge was a custom job to span a 10’ gap. If I remember the original story right it had something to do with a lawnmower on the old layout?

If I knew how to weld ( and had a welder) I’d do the same thing. I’ve done some basic aluminum strip bridges with self tapping screws for my drop in non prototypical bridges.

Jon,
Dandelions are always prolific :smiley:

Craig,
Pretty good memory there.
The first bridge you see is a cut down version of a bridge that I built years ago in the shop from 20 gauge sheet metal. It took about an hour to cut it out bend it up and spot weld it together.

The second bridge, the through truss, was made from 1/2 inch square tubing and 1/8th inch rod. cut to size and welded up in the shop, took a couple/ three hours.

The third bridge is actually 1/4 inch ABS, laser cut by a fellow to my design. and there are 2 of them. on the old layout they spanned an area that I could ride my mower under. Each bridge is 74 inches long.

Here is how they looked on the old RR.

Glad I got it partially right. For some reason I was thinking you had them made by a company. I didn’t know you made them.

Isn’t or wasn’t there a company that made metal bridges? And not the old Garden Metal Models ( I have one of those)

Considering how long it took to finish the *not-the-mik, just how many years practice have you had in whipping out bridges in under 4 hours?

I’m dreading my build.

Truer words were never spoken!

Craig (@ctown2 ) I think you mean this place: Eaglewings Iron Craft - Home. It was not clear to me if they still are around, though the copyright on the website is 2024. I had thought that Split Jaw bought “Eagle Something.”

As for bridges, we used and old piece of plywood supported by bricks for months. The PLAYMOBIL, Legos, Barbies, etc. never seemed to mind.

Eric

I have used 2x6 metal stud shoes image for temp bridges
found at the big box stores
[https://www.homedepot.com/p/ProTRAK-20-1-5-8-in-x-10-ft-20-Gauge-EQ-Galvanized-Steel-Track-162PDT125-18/311149451#overlay]

Bill,
Spending 30 years working in a sheet metal shop even a guy like me can pick up a few pointers :smiley: