Large Scale Central

Spring Maintenance

Lookng good. I was hopping to get some work done the last few days but we had some rain sunday and monday was cold and windy. I have the next two days off and then work the late shifts for the weekend. I hope to add some rock to my layout and redue my stream.

Precious, Ric.

Finally - A good weather day. Today I re-laid the East Leg, dug the winter mess out of Deep Cut, replaced the refurbished switch at Pine Summit and completed a general clean-up. I also was able to grind away the cement that was giving me clearance problems on the West leg at WALK.

I haven’t run a track power train since sometime last year, so I thought I’d bring one out and see if there were any new problems. I must have hit all the trouble spots with the track work because the Connie pulled the new F Scale train up the grade and through the wye on track power with no problems.

There was even time before dinner to take the live steam Shay out with a short train. With two cars and a caboose she struggles on the grade at Coal Dump Curve, but eventually makes it. The second run is always a problem there. The wet/oily wheels and the steep grade result in some pretty serious wheel slip.

I was all set to take some pictures as the sun got low in the sky, but realized I left my camera at work ( The forecast is for rain nearly every day next week, and we are in Florida the week after, so it will be a while before I can get back at it.

The last section that needs work is the main line between Indian Hill Junction and Pine Summit. I would have pulled the track today, but I completely ran out of ballast stone so until I can get over to the quarry there won’t be any more ballast work. Home depot no longer sells the stuff I used to get there - so I’m stuck buying it by the trailer load at the quarry - at about 10% of what I was paying Home Depot per pound.

I had some nice weather too. Ran a 10 wheeler with 2 boxcars and a caboose for about two hours.
I just let it run while I worked on the RR.
Ralph

Ralph Berg said:
I had some nice weather too. Ran a 10 wheeler with 2 boxcars and a caboose for about two hours. I just let it run while I worked on the RR. Ralph
I do the same, thats why I like running off track power, just let the trains run as work and take breaks. The weather here has been miserable. When its nice im working and days off it rains and is cold and windy. I have been working on converting a few of my HLW mini flats into a tender for my porter. The i want to make a wooden gondola out of another, and a box car out of the other. That should keep me busy on rainy days.