Large Scale Central

Spring Maintenance

Last weekend we had temps in the mid 60’s and lots of sunshine. On Sunday the MOW train went out with a hopper full of ballast to attack some of the problem areas identified earlier in the week. Many of you know that my track laid is on numerous foundations depending on location. As the MOW train exits the indoor division it traverses a 90 degree bend and a long straight, all elevated on PT (pressure treated) lumber. At “WALL” the track transitions to a fill built upon a stone wall with concrete scraps, gravel and stone dust ballast. This area, also known as Coal Dump Curve is directly under the drip line of a huge Maple. It has been a challenge to keep the fill in place. This section requires some type of maintenance at least twice per year. So the first stop for the MOW crew was at WALL where they cut down ballast, leveled track, upgraded some of the concrete retaining system, then re-ballasted the track to the bridge leading to Indian Hill. Here are a few vintage photos of Wall and Coal Dump Curve… [url=photo.cvsry.com/Wall3-1024.jpg]

[/url][color=blue]FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] [url=photo.cvsry.com/Wall4-1024.jpg]

[/url][color=blue]FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] I don’t have any pictures yet of the latest incarnation of this area. Today I took advantage of a warm evening and the extra light to start attacking a serious vertical curve at Walk Crossing on the West leg of my Wye. I started by pulling the entire West leg track. It came up easily in one piece. The Split Jaw clamps at each end opened rather easily 3 years after being installed. Once the track was up I removed the first inch of so of stone dust ballast. Due to several floods in this area the ballast was well mixed with top soil. That and the addition of ballast on top over the years had raised the track quite a bit. The problem came where the track is encased in concrete while crossing a walkway. The ballasted area rose over time, but the concrete encased track stayed put resulting in a vertical curve. Here are a couple of vintage photos of the West leg and Walk Crossing taken just after the track was finished… [url=photo.cvsry.com/Walk1-1024.jpg]

[/url][color=blue]FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] [url=photo.cvsry.com/Walk2-1024.jpg]

[/url][color=blue]FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] Next time the weather cooperates I’ll tamp and level the ballast that remains, replace the track and finish ballast. I had considered replacing one or both of these areas with ladder roadbed. As it turns out, the amount of work to repair each of these areas was significantly less than trenching and installing ladder. I will be using ladder on future expansions.

Who’s up for a field trip to Jon’s?

I’d love to have you, but y’all been spoiled at Fred’s, Ric’s, Marty’s, Doug’s, Bruce’s, Richard’s and who knows how many countless other railroads that offer significantly more operating possibilities than mine. I’m just a little one train-at-a-time short out and back. The most challenging part is traversing the Wye :smiley:

Now, If I ever get any sidings and my loop expansion built I may have something to offer.

Tom don’t want to play trains, he’s just looking for a meal…and maybe some shoes?

Tom has always been one of the last to finish working the scheudle and completing the ops. He will continue running and complete the mission long after everyone else has “gone to beans”. Besides, he doesn’t eat that much. The shoes thing is between him and God.

Wear no unnecessary shoes.

Jon, those railroad pictures of your layout sure do look good…

Who cares about a ton of detail and switching…dude you have trains in your yard!!! That’s how I see it.
I have no switches an undetailed RR with track power and 2 independent loops. However I can MU diesels and pull a 30 car freight through my yard on one track and be passed by a Amtrak on another going the opposite direction. Nice thing about track power is I can do this all day with a TE strapped to my side.
Jon, despite what you think I personally enjoy your pictures and think you railfan your RR quite well!
I’m a newbie though!

Jon: looking good. I dont think you are to far from me? I should plan a field trip up your way. If you are in my area stop by my RR.

Glad you liked them Andy. That was a long time ago! Today was cold and rainy, but by 5:00 the sun was coming out. I wasn’t able to get any work done, but I did get some updated pictures of completed work and work in-progress. As usual, there are probably twice as many pictures in this post as needed to tell the story, but I just can’t choose :smiley: This is the current state of WALL, where the roadbed transitions from PT lumber to fill on top of a stone wall. Much of the fill is old scraps of concrete left-over from various projects. [url=lsc.cvsry.com/Wall_01-1280.jpg]

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/Wall_01-720.jpg)

[/url][color=blue]The transition point - FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] [url=lsc.cvsry.com/Wall_02-1280.jpg]

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/Wall_02-720.jpg)

[/url][color=blue]Looking North toward the indoor Div. - FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] [url=lsc.cvsry.com/Wall_03-1280.jpg]

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/Wall_03-720.jpg)

[/url][color=blue]Looking South toward Coal Dump Curve - FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] [url=lsc.cvsry.com/Wall_04-1280.jpg]

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/Wall_04-720.jpg)

[/url][color=blue]An abandon foundation at Coal Dump Curve - FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] [url=lsc.cvsry.com/CoalDump_01-1280.jpg]

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/CoalDump_01-720.jpg)

[/url][color=blue]Coal Dump Curve looking East - FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] [url=lsc.cvsry.com/CoalDump_02-1280.jpg]

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/CoalDump_02-720.jpg)

[/url][color=blue]Coal Dump Curve looking West - FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] The section in the photos above is what was rehabilitated in an afternoon last Sunday. While out shooting pictures I notced that this bridge abutment could use some work… [url=lsc.cvsry.com/CoalDump_03-1280.jpg]

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/CoalDump_03-720.jpg)

[/url][color=blue]Bridge Abutment needing some work - FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] Now we move RR North across the bridge to Indian Hill Junction where the West leg of my Wye cuts off. Yesterday this track was pulled up to enable ballast removal. [url=lsc.cvsry.com/WalK_04-1280.jpg]

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/WalK_04-720.jpg)

[/url][color=blue]Indian Hill Junction - Wye to left, main straight ahead - FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] [url=lsc.cvsry.com/WalK_03-1280.jpg]

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/WalK_03-720.jpg)

[/url][color=blue]West leg rough grading complete - FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] [url=lsc.cvsry.com/WalK_02-1280.jpg]

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/WalK_02-720.jpg)

[/url][color=blue]Looking back toward Indian Hill Junction from Walk Crossing - FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] [url=lsc.cvsry.com/WalK_01-1280.jpg]

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/WalK_01-720.jpg)

[/url][color=blue]Transition at Walk Crossing - Note vertical curve on foreground track - FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] The last picture shows pretty well what I’m trying to correct. This vertical curve has become so steep my Shay drags the pilot step going up or down it. I’m hoping that by cutting back the ballast I can completely eliminate it.

Jon,

I hate to say it, but you are too critical of your own work. I see great stuff in your work. I like the blending into the landscape and the surrounding area and landscape. Utilitarian, but functional and fun. Give yourself credit, you’ve got a railroad.

Shawn said:
Jon: looking good. I dont think you are to far from me? I should plan a field trip up your way. If you are in my area stop by my RR.
Just about 2 hours. I'm about 10 miles North of I-84 through Danbury. Give me a month or so to clean up :D

Jon, thanks for the great photos. I enjoy seeing all that you have done. And you can never post too many pics!!!

Ric Golding said:
Jon,

I hate to say it, but you are too critical of your own work. I see great stuff in your work. I like the blending into the landscape and the surrounding area and landscape. Utilitarian, but functional and fun. Give yourself credit, you’ve got a railroad.

Yeah, what he said… :slight_smile:

Thanks Guys -

It’s not that I’m not proud of what I’ve accomplished. If I wasn’t, I wouldn’t be posting pictures. Rather I think what I have down so far is not enough to be operationally satisfying for more than a half hour or so. I’ve yet to get a continuous loop run set up so one out and back only consumes about 10-15 minutes. Do that a few times and it starts to get old. I know it does for me.

Finishing the loop I designed a few years ago and laid out last spring is high on the plan sheet for this year. That, with the addition of a spring switch inside, will allow a continuous battery or steam run. Also high on the plan this year is to create a seating area inside Coal Dump curve. With those two additions I could see my railroad as a much more enjoyable place for guest operators.

Jon,

You’ve done some really nice work there. The painted rail looks great too. Having guest operators is at least as much about enjoying friends with common interests as it is running on the railroad. If I lived close enough I’d consider it a priviledge to visit with you and I’m sure that I’m not alone in that.

Lucky guy. I still have so much snow that I can only find about half of my track. And, of course, where the track is visible, the 2 Dog Excavating Crew is busy at work going after moles! :lol:

Perhaps in another week. Meanwhile, I have some turnouts to build. Been saying that since November. :stuck_out_tongue:

Steve Featherkile said:
Lucky guy. I still have so much snow that I can only find about half of my track. And, of course, where the track is visible, the 2 Dog Excavating Crew is busy at work going after moles! :lol:

Perhaps in another week. Meanwhile, I have some turnouts to build. Been saying that since November. :stuck_out_tongue:

I read a post somewhere from somebody in Alberta that still has feet of snow cover on the ground. I used to envy Ric talking about doing spring yard work early in March, so I guess this is pay back :smiley: :smiley:

Today is officially the first day of spring and we had snow flurries this morning. Sunny and bright out now, but still cool.

We had snow showers/squalls most of the day. Even picked up a half inch of snow.

It’s in the 20’s here and didn’t get much above the 30’s yesterday. Still hibernation time in this neck of the woods. It may be officially spring, but ol’man winter hasn’t gotten the news.