As seen (perhaps) is Sean’s Spring Thread, I started clean-up and ran a test train today and made note of quite a few items needing attention:
Indian Hill Bridge is the youngest of two welded plate girder bridges that I built using the same materials and adhesives, but for some reason it is having many more adhesive and paint failures. Perhaps it’s location exposes it to more weather and sunlight. It will need to come out since the bottom styrene cover has delaminated and the paint continues to fail. I don’t want to shut down the railroad to repair this main-line bridge, so I’m thinking a doubled 2x3 will support some the track in it’s absence. I’m thinking of replacing the styrene with .040" pre-painted aluminum attached with structural adhesive.
This one is easy; a big rock that sits next to the track keeps getting nudged by the lawn tractor. Today the 45 tonners cleared by less than .25". It needs to get dug out and shifted away from the track.
At Deep Cut, some of the rock face that was repaired a few years ago is failing again. I’m sure this is a drainage issue, but without doing major demolition, I’m going to just have to keep patching it. Clearance here was already very tight. Hopefully I can improve it a little.
At Walk there is a dry run and retaining pond with dry stack wall. This feature has needed lots of maintenance over the years. This year looks like a complete rebuild of the walls is needed.
We are returning to winter for 24 hours, so perhaps I can get started and take some pics on Sunday.