Large Scale Central

Spring colors

A bit of late spring colors here. The daisies make pretty good stand-ins for sunflowers, which are grown here commercially (Kid-zilla edited the shot).

Unfortunately, my native plants bloomed earlier, and one may have fallen victim to ants. Hopefully, it’ll recover.

Eric

3 Likes

My Sedums are in bloom :smiley:

This plant originated on Ken’s RR and overwintered once in my basement, barely surviving, then overwintering this year in the new planter where it thrived last summer. I wasn’t sure looking at what was left above ground in early spring, but it greened up like gangbusters and began to spread. I noticed the blooms earlier in the week…

And this variety originated with a handful donated by a neighbor probably 15 years ago. It grows everywhere on my RR and in my rock walls. I’ve never notice it blooming before. This was a very wet spring, and the plants loved it. I don’t know if these will open with color, or just become seed pods…

We shall see :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dan Pierce held an open house

It’s all I got right now

1 Like

Love this building, Rooster. Did you by any chance do a build log on this or have some glamour shots posted somewhere?

Bill,
I did do a build log however I forgot about it and suppose I need to try and fix this thread as well.

I remember that build and I fully expected it to have been on MLS. Glad it’s here. At least there is hope!

I did a little maintenance, some encroaching was going on and then I ran the essential engine

That was one line, the easiest to clean

I am not going to be as lucky with the rest

And today, I noticed that some of the Creeping Jenny is blooming! True to its name, none of it grows where I planted it, but has migrated to where conditions are more favorable!

With the wet spring, even the Woolly Thyme is spreading :smiley:

1 Like

Rhododendron is blooming in my idle rail way

Jon,

We have been quite busy on the 3rd physical iteration of the transcontinental DÜRR (Korm suggested it stands for Down Under Railroad and I added the umlauts as dürr translates as arid) and nothing has been allowed to grow there. It’s just piles of sandy loam.

I’m looking forward to the gardening part of the project. I showed Herself your post but she just rolled her eyes when I told her that some day we too, will have plenty of thyme on our hands. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I am seeing new to me weeds.
Here is the horse train.

1 Like

1 Like

Sean, just how big is your railway and can you tell us more about it?

Two loops with about 180 ft in each loop with Aristo TE running both loops.
One loop is just a 20’ circle with strait track connecting each 1/2 circle .
Number 6 USA and Aristo 10’ switches etc.

I asked my daughter to help with weeding

1 Like

I was wondering about that. But warum the Deutschsprechen, e.g., Eun Dürr Gartenbahn?

Which is cool and fine, don’t get me wrong!!!

Just trying to process the Australian-German connection there… Again, just fine!!!

Cliff,

I’m learning bad habits; especially on a thread about Spring Colours… :crazy_face: Here’s the short answer…

The German connection came from a posted question about how to store trains when you don’t own the original box.

Earlier in the week, I had seen an amusing blurb about how difficult it is to remember Ikea furniture names and how to make your very own personal IKEA spirit furniture name.

IMG_8615

Korm had posted a well thought out proper reply. I immediately thought Korm had designed homemade Ikea boxes… it made me smile.

IMG_8614

I then was left wondering if umlauts were just word candy these days, when I discovered this…

So, when Korm suggested I post a thread about my railroad build called the Down Under Railroad or The DURR, I of course had to check if it meant something else with umlauts :smiling_imp:

DÜRR = Arid
A very descriptive of the current build. :crazy_face:

…and finally to bring this post back on to the topic of spring colours and show there is something worse than weeding, I share this mornings photo of the DURR aka the DÜRR*.

So @Sgnïnnej,

There it is. Apologies for any düress caused by the short answer.

Bill, that’s an awesome short answer!

Unfortunately I’ve got to geh ins bett now, but at least I verstehe deine Haltung besser, haha!!

1 Like