Large Scale Central

Spent this month's train budget

Not on trains, though. It went into one of my other interests. In this case, muzzleloaders.

A little voice told me to stop by my favorite local gun shop this morning while I was in town. First thing I laid my eyes on was a Pedersoli flintlock Kentucky rifle. It was in rough shape, with the stock beat to heck, and replacement thimbles. The thimbles were bigger than stock, and someone had hacked out the stock to allow the bigger thimbles to fit. They wanted over $400 for it.

Next to it was a mystery 20 ga. flintlock fowler. The tag called it an English Fowler and had 'Canoe Gun’under that. No markings, except for the 20 ga on the 30" barrel. I have not taken it apart to see if there are any hidden markings yet. For what they wanted, less than half the price of the Pedersoli, I decided to pick it up.

Beautiful wood. My brother would like to see this, he’s in to AWI reenacting and of course muzzleloaders.
Will send him the page url.

At sure is purdey.

Where’s the trains?

No trains. Spent the money on a short-barreled English 20 ga. fowler with an L&R Queen Anne flintlock.

Very cool. Will you shoot it?

Absolutely! I’ve never owned a gun I haven’t shot. If a gun is too valuable to shoot, then I don’t buy it. And this one should be a hoot to shoot. I’ve spent the afternoon researching it. This is what I’ve figured out, so far…

It’s a short-barreled 20 gauge English-style fowler, tagged as a canoe gun (which may or may not have ever existed as an established style).

The wood is tiger maple. The lock set and side plate are L&R’s Queen Anne set. The trigger guard and trigger are correct for the period.

At some point, someone pulled the screw from in front of the trigger guard and replaced it with a threaded sling swivel. I can remove that and put a proper screw back in.

It has a proper 20 gauge/.615 caliber barrel which, if I am correct, is a Colraine barrel. The front sight bead is a bit small, but usable.

Love the “fiddle back” Maple, that alone justifies your investment. It looks beautiful overall, if the barrel is sanitary your golden.

Love the shotguns I have a double .410 percussion I built years ago that is just a ball to shoot.

Rick

I have to dig out my bore light, but the barrel looks very good, so far.

And the Queen Anne lock set sells for more than I paid for the whole gun.