Large Scale Central

Spektrum DX5e Transmitter problems

The Dx5e is a nice inexpensive 2.4 GHz spread spectrum radio that has seen major acceptance in both the model airplane and model train communities. I purchased one several years ago to control my live steam loco and over the last few years have used it for battery powered locos and trail cars along with Del Taparo’s RailBoss R/C system.

My radio performed great for several years. Soon after building my first trail car I started experiencing loss of signal at the receiver even when the transmitter was in close proximity. It appeared to be some sort of intermittent connection because tapping on the case would often restore the link. A search of the net found this to be a fairly common problem with several suggested fixes. When the problem happens the battery indicator stays lit while the radio link to the receiver is lost just as if the radio was turned off.

You can’t always believe what you read on the net :slight_smile: The descriptions and video documentation of the problem are accurate, but the fixes are full of mis-information and don’t address the problem at all.

Myth #1 - There are two separate circuits in the switch; one for the indicators and one for the transmitter section

Myth #2 - The problem is the switch

Myth #3 - Replacing the switch by wiring a new one around it will solve the problem.

At first I had no reason to not believe the myths. They seemed logical since switching the power on and off or banging on the case in the area of the switch would cause the receiver to link up. I opened up my radio and didn’t like the look of the solder on the switch leads, so I heated them up and flowed a tiny bit of fresh solder on them. A quick test with the case open made it appear like this was the fix, so I closed up the case. The radio functioned correctly for several weeks so I figured I had solved the problem.

I figured wrong. The problem came back. Only once in a while at first, but more often recently. It happened to us at Bob’s TrainOps session. Fortunately the loco was stopped when the link was lost because the RailBoss will continue doing what it was last commanded to do when the radio is turned off. This is a nice feature when you intentionally shut off the radio, but a bit scary when your loco is headed down the tracks to a collision when the link is lost.

Still believing it was the switch I planned on wiring a new one around it and opened up the case tonight to start the process. Before following net advice to create solder bridge shorts on the existing switch I decided to do a little investigating by following the traces connected to the switch. Fortunately this is a single layer board and quite easy to trace with magnification.

I immediately disproved Myth #1. True it is a Dual Pole / Dual Throw switch, but it only selects both poles of the battery pack between the circuit board (ON) and the charge jack (OFF ).

By disproving the two circuit myth, it also ruled out the switch as the problem. If the battery indicator lights are lit, the switch is passing power. If the switch isn’t the problem, replacing or wiring around it isn’t going to fix anything.

So now, having disproved all the fixes posted on the net I’m on my own. I donned my Optivisor and started looking closely at every solder joint. I found only one joint that wasn’t shiny. It was located where a jumper was tied into what probably is the logic chip. The other end of the jumper leads directly to the transmitter module. This is a pretty good candidate for the problem. I heated the joint and added a bit of solder. A quick test with the case open proved I didn’t break anything, so I buttoned up the case.

I ran trains for about 2 hours after the fix never loosing control once. I’m hopeful that this is the fix, but only time will tell.

While I was buttoning up, I decided to add some insulation under the two long crews that support the switch. They could possibly bridge two traces. I have no evidence that this is a problem, but it only took a few seconds to add some self-adhesive vinyl under the screws.

Keeping fingers crossed :slight_smile:

Hey Jon - Nice work troubleshooting the problem. None of my customers have reported this exact problem, but many have recently experienced problems with one or more channels not working properly. These could also be related to bad solder joints I suppose.

Thanks Del - I never mentioned it to you because it was obviously a radio link issue. I could see the light on the Rx go out when the RailBoss stopped responding. Finding the same problem well documented on the net pretty much confirmed it to be the transmitter.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je764AvkRlQ[/youtube]

I hope that it is indeed fixed , and I have read many reports of problems with the DX5 , so much so that I do not own one . And I own many Spektrum , Blade xmtrs , but NO DX5 . I really prefer the little 4 channel xmtr that looks like a game control , that comes with all of the UM really small Parkzone and Eflite and Hobbyzone planes and helis . Used with my fantastic Rail Boss plus . I am wanting to change my track power layout over to a RailBoss Plus and have the great feeling throttle stick movement for the layout , as I am tired of pushing buttons instead of the smooth throttle stick operation .

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/dennispaulson/one%20hand%20on%20the%20throttle%20.JPG)

I’m spoiled by Del’s new 2 receiver capability using the Ch 5 (gear) switch. I don’t think I could go to a 4 Ch. radio; but that E-flite does look like a nice size. In my search I found that with some tweaks, the trainer switch on the DX5e can be used as a sixth channel. I need to play with that one :slight_smile:

Edit to add: I agree on the stick throttle. I used the Aristo TE for a long time and I much prefer the stick even if the radio is much larger.

I haven’t had any problems with any DX5e’s over time.
Dry solder joints will always be a problem no matter what brand you use. Apart from checking all solder joints, I would also scrub the pcb’s with a pcb cleaner and then lacquer them to prevent any micro corrosion bridging logic traces.
Early on I did have one problem with a DX5e that the Australian agents fixed. The TX had not been correctly calibrated. They provided me with the calibration procedure for future use. I believe Del also has a copy of that procedure now.
Lately I have been selling and using the DX-4e, as here is Australia it is significantly less expensive than the DX5e.

Yes the TX’s are bigger than the small proprietary systems, but, once a user has had them for a while they love the much longer range and the proper full digital proportional control of a dedicated throttle channel.

Like Tony, I too love the proportional throttle that a stick transmitter provides. However, many large-scalers dislike the large hobby stick radios. So this seems like as good as time as any to announce a new product from G-Scale Graphics: The “Pocket RailBoss”. It has ALL of the features the current RailBoss Plus has except simultaneous two train control.

The Pocket RailBoss is a 2.4GHZ 3-button keyfob transmitter. Put it in your pocket, on your keychain, or around your neck. It is “Small Simple Effective”. Available soon (weeks, not months or years).

I would love a “stick” for my trains but I am not aware of any that work with track and battery. I cluged one together a few years back but it only operated one train.

The DX5e is a radio I will never buy…It is one thing to lose control of a train, the liklyhood of serious personal injury or property loss is minimal. A 55 pound 100 mph aircraft is an entirely different thing. I cannot take the risk. Even a small “foamie” can inflict considerable damage.

Mark - Both Tony and Del’s systems are perfect for R/C with a stick radio. I can’t say about Tony’s, but Del’s system will allow for 2 train operation using Ch 5 (Gear) as a toggle between two receivers. I find that function very handy when working my yards.

Spektrum make a number of different DSM2 compatible radios that are sold under different brand names.
I have figured out a way of using a 6 channel they make that sells at a very reasonable price. So 2 x trains could be run from one TX and have precise simultaneous control without switching between channel # 5 ON - OFF. It actually worked very well except that I could not get full stick movement on one stick channel. Apparently that was a built in design feature that could not be reprogrammed out. The channel #'s 5 & 6 knobs worked particularly well as the speed control channels.

Aaaahh well!!! the best laid plans of mice and men…

All three of the ESC’s I make can use constant track voltage, battery voltage or both at the same time. The system picks the highest available voltage to use.

Del Tapparo said:
Like Tony, I too love the proportional throttle that a stick transmitter provides. However, many large-scalers dislike the large hobby stick radios. So this seems like as good as time as any to announce a new product from G-Scale Graphics: The "Pocket RailBoss". It has ALL of the features the current RailBoss Plus has except simultaneous two train control.

The Pocket RailBoss is a 2.4GHZ 3-button keyfob transmitter. Put it in your pocket, on your keychain, or around your neck. It is “Small Simple Effective”. Available soon (weeks, not months or years).

I am awaiting this interesting product. Should be great for kids to use and certainly is very small and easy to handle.

Dr Tom

Jon Radder said:
Mark - Both Tony and Del's systems are perfect for R/C with a stick radio. I can't say about Tony's, but Del's system will allow for 2 train operation using Ch 5 (Gear) as a toggle between two receivers. I find that function very handy when working my yards.
I had asked about all the different radio systems available when I went outdoors with my last railroad. I wanted to run three independent loops with the ability to run track or batt power. I was told only one system allowed this...The revo.

I am now running three track-DC trains at the same time while throwing in a battery powered unit just for giggles. All off one control unit. Makes for a very busy little layout. So far only the Revo allows me to do this. I want the “stick throttle” but my multi-train set-up won’t allow for it.

Everything I have seen shows Tony and Del’s systems are great for “pure” R/C. I would gladly use them if they had a track-DC option.

4 simultaneous trains is a bit beyond the capability of these systems, but as Tony said, track power should be OK as long as it is constant.

Jon Radder said:
4 simultaneous trains is a bit beyond the capability of these systems, but as Tony said, track power should be OK as long as it is constant.
Who among us can keep track of 4 different consists at once? I often have trouble with one... :lol:

Agreed Steve. The top speed on my one train is about 15 scale MPH or 25 at best (throttle is purposely programmed to limit top end). That’s just a little bit slower than a brisk walking pace so I can catch up to it.

Edit to add: I recently fixed up my wye and reverse loop switches so they work as spring switches. I can now run a complete circuit without changing switches. I still need to stop and reverse twice on the wye, but it’s getting closer to a continuous run :slight_smile: I was happy to discover the other evening that my track and cars are finally tweaked to the point that I can run several circuits in a row with no derailments.

TonyWalsham said:
...All three of the ESC's I make can use constant track voltage, battery voltage or both at the same time. The system picks the highest available voltage to use.
Apparently missed that. Sweet!