Large Scale Central

Speed Synch

Hello, new to the forum. I am looking for assistance with how to speed synch my Alco FA-1 and FB-1. The B unit pushes the A unit. Can anyone help with step by step process for Dummies? thanks Dana

It depends entirely on how you are controlling them - i.e. DC, DCC, Revolution, AirWire, etc.

I am running them off a Bridgewerks Mag Mate 100.

First, I would suggest “Rebuilding” the motor blocks, i.e. opening, cleaning, lubricating, checking for any problems.

Then, if one unit consistently runs faster, ad a “voltage dropper”: https://elmassian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=185:misc-electronics&catid=19:trainelectronics&Itemid=353

look for the section called “voltage dropper”

Greg

Dana,

What Greg suggested… I had a friend with a like issue, he simply swapped the trucks to the ‘A’ unit; so it pulled a little harder than the ‘B’ unit worked for him.

Michael

Thank you for the responses. If i can figure out how to do it, the cleaning and truck swap sounds like a good solution. thanks, Dana

Dana - If the motor block swap approach doesn’t work well, you may need to replace one or more of the locos’ motor blocks. Replacement motor blocks for these LGB F7A units. LGB F7B units don’t come with motor blocks so apparently you installed one or two motor blocks into it as I did for a customer. You can find the replacement F7A motor blocks at many large scale hobby stores, such as www.OnlyTrains.com has a good price for about $110 each.

Tom

Tom, you do realize this is over a year old, and the OP only posted a total of 3 times all on this thread?

Anyway, you can buy replacement motor blocks from Bachmann, through many different dealers. Much better idea in my opinion, bolts right in, matches exactly speed and size.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Tom, you do realize this is over a year old, and the OP only posted a total of 3 times all on this thread?

Anyway, you can buy replacement motor blocks from Bachmann, through many different dealers. Much better idea in my opinion, bolts right in, matches exactly speed and size.

Greg

Greg - Okay, I misread the date on the posting, I thought it was April 2019…sometimes happens when I speed read these forums!

Tom

:wink:

The good news is the replacement blocks can be bought… lucky for us that Bachmann decided to revive the eggliner!

Greg

Thomas White said:

Dana - If the motor block swap approach doesn’t work well, you may need to replace one or more of the locos’ motor blocks. Replacement motor blocks for these LGB F7A units. LGB F7B units don’t come with motor blocks so apparently you installed one or two motor blocks into it as I did for a customer. You can find the replacement F7A motor blocks at many large scale hobby stores, such as www.OnlyTrains.com has a good price for about $110 each.

Tom

The ALCO FA1 & FB1 are Aristo-Craft products, so “…these LGB F7A units. LGB F7B units…” would not seem pertain.

The following information may be of help:

Aristo has/had 2 basic versions of motor blocks:

The old one is illustrated below.

See “Remedying factory flaws” within vignette (article), and then Scroll down to “Open circuit / intermittent Truck power pickups” showing the older type Aristo motor block.

The newer ball bearing type is illustrated below.

See vignette: “Upgrading Aristo-Craft Loco Motor Blocks from Sleeve to Ball Bearing

-Ted

Welcome to LSC Dana even if it is a month old welcome!

" Rooster " said:

Welcome to LSC Dana even if it is a month old welcome!

You mean 13 month. Look at the date of his post as was pointed out by Greg.