Large Scale Central

Spectrum 2-8-0 Fn3 gearbox issues

Jason

Where did you purchase the new axle gear for the conversion.

Thanks

Stan

Those two were purchased directly from Bachmann.

Jason

Here is another shot of the new gear soldered on the old axle installed back in place.

Jason

Guys,

This is the gear you need as a starting point to use the Bachmann C-19 gearbox on other locomotives. it will probably need to be thinned to 4mm thickness, and bored out to fit your axle. you will need to come up with appropriate shims and spacers as well, but this is the difficult part. I also tried to look up the axle gear for the Connie, which I happen to have in front of me, and it appears to be entirely custom. I was unable to match its 25 tooth and .620 od to any metric or English gear in SDP product line.

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/FileSharing/user_2560/for%20sale%20items/c-19%20gear.JPG)

AL P.

Al this one?Axle

Dan Stuettgen said:

i am hoping that someone can help provide info needed to get my locos back up and running. I have 3 Bachmann Spectrum Fn3 2-8-0’s that all have the same issue. All three has one of the two tear idler gears broken. its the one that has the small gear on top of the large gear.

The small gear part has broken apart from the large part. has anyone had this same issue. it seems that bachmann has an ongoing issue with gears. The last engine that developed this issue was used to pull only 2 Accucraft passenger cars so it didnt pull too heavy of loads. The other two only pulled a max of 8 accucraft and Spectrum freight cars. These are just idler gears so they should not have a lot of stress on them. Has anyone replaced these gears with brass ones and if so, where did you get them. i has been looking for replacements other than the almost impossible to get replacement gears from Bachmann.

i have even considered replacing the whole gearbox assembly with the C-19 gearbox and motor assembly.

Dan Stuettgen

Colorado & Rio Grande Southern

HTTP://www.danstrains.net

Dan,

Can you please describe the symptoms of the gear failure, because yesterday my 2-8-0 was running just fine; then suddenly it stopped and will not move at all.

I am thinking it is a gear problem because this loco suffered a gear cracking problem which was solved by the brass axle gear replacement, now it is displaying gear failure again I think.

I will watch this thread with interest.

The failure of this intermediate gear is not surprising IMHO as it has very little plastic material between the bore for the shaft and the root of the gear teeth, and given the tendency of this nylon type material to shrink and crack am surprised there are not more failures of this type. the good news is that this part is currently available, and I would purchase spares if I was planning to run with this stock gearbox… the better solution is to replace with the C-19 gear box and replacement gear shown above. it will require a little fiddling but will result in a robust solution on Par with the Barry’s offering of years past.

AL P.

Kind of why I decided before I put my C-21 bash build back together to replace the whole thing with the motor, gearbox with the brass gears from my c-19. Instead of using the original gearbox with nylon gears. Bigger is better right! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Jason

Folks,

had the geared driver out today and figured I would draw up the spacer washers. I can 3d print these, but not Shure how well they will hold up. I have specified Nylon as the material of choice.

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/FileSharing/user_2560/D&RGW%20C-18/Bachman%20C-19%20gearbox%20washer.JPG)

Al P.

As this thread moves along I find myself questioning what’s going on. This discussion revolves around the use of C-19 parts in the 2-8-9 “Connie” and these spacers and/or modifications are not required on the more recent C-19. Correct?

Jon; My original Post was asking if anyone else had the same issue that I have with my 3 Connie’s (Spectrum 2-8-0) with the Intermediate gear braking. I looked on Bachmanns parts section and the gear is available or was around Xmas. I have been trying or order some replacements along with some other parts, but It has been a number of Years since I ordered parts from them and don’t remember the password I used before and I have been trying to get it reset and I have tried at least 10 times to use the cant remember password link on the site and have yet to receive a response from Bachmann, so I have not been able to order the parts I need. Looks like I am going to have to get a money order for the cost of the pasts and shipping and mail it to Bachmann and then wait weeks for the Postal service to deliver the parts. It would be nice if Bachmann also took payments via paypal like most other venders. I also asked if it was Possible to use the C-19 gear box in the Connie and Al said that yes it was, but with an Axle modification as the gear on the C-19 gearbox does not match the Connie Axle gear.

Dan Stuettgen

http://www.danstrains.net

Thanks Dan!

Jon, the spacer, 2x as shown is in the C-19 gearbox, but doesn’t come with either the replacement motor or cover from Bachman, as well as the gear. the axle on the Connie is 5/16 if I remember correctly and you would need slightly smaller internal dia. for that loco in theory than the C-19. so just another piece of the puzzle.

Al P.

Jon, And as I did. I converted my Connie (used the replacement axle) with the bigger c19 brass gear and the c19 gearbox as show in previous pictures.

Jason

I have been trying or order some replacements along with some other parts, but It has been a number of Years since I ordered parts from them and don’t remember the password I used before and I have been trying to get it reset and I have tried at least 10 times to use the cant remember password link on the site and have yet to receive a response from Bachmann, so I have not been able to order the parts I need. Looks like I am going to have to get a money order for the cost of the pasts and shipping and mail it to Bachmann

Dan, I don’t know why you are having so much trouble, but the easy solution would be to create a new account with a new password. (There’s a reason I use the same password on train websites.)

Once you have an account, you can pay by credit card, which does speed things up. They usually take 2 or 3 days to pack and ship, and the item takes 2-5 days depending where you are. I have had no problems last year once they re-opened.

Pete: thats what I ended up doing. I received the gears I needed and along with the gears that I wisely purchased for for NSWL closed before being sold, I was able to get two of my Bachmann Spectrum Connie’s back up and running. The third one is on the Rip Track for a rebuild/conversion to a C&S style locomotive. It was missing the Pilot when I got it as well as the Tender. It will have the headlight changed out and put where it belongs on top of the boiler and not the smoke box door, the Domes swapped out and the Air tanks added on top of the boiler, Bear trap stack added and and snow plow to the front. After all that I will have to build a complete tender to house the DCC electronics and speaker. When thats all done I will have one engine lettered for the D&RGW, RGS and C&S. Those along with the C19 and the two 4-4-0’s and one 2-6-0 will round out the motive power for the time being.

One other thing I plan on doing to all of the locomotives is to replace the motor with either a Swiss made or German made precision motor and get rid of those horrible Chinese stock motors. My goal is to be able to get the engine to run smoothly at a constant realistic speed and draw no more than 1.5 amps pulling 5 cars.

Dan Stuettgen

Http://www.danstrains.net

Dan, Any pictures of the locomotives you have built or building? I looked at your site but didn’t find those.

Thanks

Jason

Jason: I just added the Motive Power page to my Website. You can view it now. Not much there as of yet as I have only modified one engine so far. been working on other things that have higher priorities.

Dan Stuettgen

Http://www.danstrains.net

Dan, Okay thanks!

Jason