Large Scale Central

Space Minimums when laying track

I have spent a bunch of time reading everything I can find on designing a garden railroad but nowhere can I find something that shows recommended minimums. Spacing between tracks on straights & curves, space between track and structures again on straight & curves, space between track and loading platforms, space between track in yards, width and height of tunnels.

I understand it depends on what rolling stock you use and what radius/diameter your curves are BUT there should be some kind of minimums to base a new layout on. Again I’m talking minimums here so a person has a starting point. A range would be even better, like having the minimum but also the ideal. As I have quickly discovered this is an expense hobby and I’m trying not to make too many mistakes that will cost me even more down the road. I would sure like to lay track that I will be able to run anything I can convince my wife to let me buy down the road!

I like an 8inch center between tracks mebbe a tad more on the curves if you can manage it…Course I use pressure treated 2x8 for a roadbed so that makes it easy to center more or less…

Jim,
Due to a recent comp crash I’ve temporarily lost the info,but memory says that there was a chart type form made by an individual some time back. I came across it on one of the forums (either here or Mylargescale).
Sometimes the members belong to both and other times one or the other. That said it had minimum spacing for multiple scales both for straight and curves and minimum clearances. I also recall a downloadable guage that you can size to your needs that covered station clearances,height,width almost shaped like the NMRA guage I used for H-O work.
Pete Thornton, Brian Donovan, Mark Oles come to mind and maybe one will chime in. You might also search the archives for clearances and read the old forums carefully as most of this info is on links in the forum.
Most seem to be comfortable using 8" to 81/2" on straights and 9" to 91/2" on curve with a generous 10" to 11" for height. Remember there are some mighty tall smokejacks on your cabeese.

Dave

Dave said; “Due to a recent comp crash I’ve temporarily lost the info,but memory says that there was a chart type form made by an individual some time back. I came across it on one of the forums (either here or Mylargescale).”

I too thought I had seen something like this before but I have searched everywhere I can think of and haven’t found it. I finally got smart, now when I see something I think there might be even a remote chance I could use in the future I copy & paste to save it. I have spent the last 18 months exploring and reading as much as I can, so no telling where I may have run across it. I read your post showing that you have broke ground on your "outdoor’ layout, congrats. Hopefully we will be able to get started laying track yet this fall. Sure would like to see a train run outside this year!

I personally use 6" on straights and 6 1/2" on curves. Min. from structures is 3" from center of track.
However out of the back of 2 books I have
Radius…2’(making 4’diameter circle)
4’ to 5’ radius preferred
Spacing…5 1/2" straight
6 1/2" curves
Structure Spacing
2 3/8" off center of track straight
3 1/2" on curves
Tunnel height…8 1/2" min
11" preferred
Grade…3% max recommended for good operation

http://www.urbaneagle.com/data/RRstddims.html

Jim,

You have stepped in to the world of scale. The table that Ken provided will work for almost any scale, but may be more space than you can provide. I have been able to get by with 8 inch centers and that seems to be acceptable. Good luck in your adventure.

Thank you Ken, that is exactly what I was looking for and ow so much more. This will be a lot of help designing my new layout.

When figuring spacing and HEIGHT always go large. I have a tunnel that I may be rebuilding this fall. There is no problem with width but I hold my breath with the height of some engines. I have a Shay that is currently getting rc/battery. It may not fit in the tunnel

Ken that’s one of the charts I was thinking of. Don’t have the clearance guage picture do you?

David Marconi said:
Ken that's one of the charts I was thinking of. Don't have the clearance guage picture do you?
Nope, but that chart has height and width clearances on it.

I know but the guage can be printed out for quick use when buildings with clearance issues are placed,although one can be made from the chart