Large Scale Central

Source for 1:32 equipment

Is there a source for 1:32 locomotives and equipment. Since I am not yet too far into acquiring my railroad, I was wondering if there was Gauge #1 standard gauge 4-4-0 and other equipment or components to scratch build to 4’-8 3/4" for my USMRR. Everything seems to be for narrow gauge D&RG

Not much.
A Lionel Atlantic has been bashed into various 1/32 ish steam locomotives.
MTH would be your source for more modern day equipment.

AMS makes 1:32 stuff…most folks with mainline interests are using 1:29 scale. For older stuff ya might take a look at Bachmanns older 1:22.5 while narrow gaugy it might be acceptable to you for old time SG stuff…

David, You might check out Bachmann’s 1:20 scale 4-4-0. It represents a standard Baldwin design of a quite small narrow gauge engine which in turn was more or less downsized from standard gauge designs.

(http://lscdata.com/users/richard_smith/2009/POC5_4-4-0_OrigPaint-2009Jul6-05-Web.JPG)

A smaller 1:32 cab, headlight and other fittings could give a fair representation of a standard gauge engine I think. The only clinker is that it is an 1870’s era design which makes it postwar for the Civil War but one of those balloon Civil War era stacks (you’d have to scratchbuild) and a proper paint job would make it look pretty good. Probably the closest you’re going to get in a commercial product. P.S. The turntable is 28" and accomodates the engine easily to give you an idea of the engine’s length.

Thanks all. I have a Bachman 4-4-0, but of course it must be narrow gauge, but I am modeling 1864 East Coast USA and CSA which was mostly all standard gauge with 48-72" drivers.

David,

I thought a lot of the CSA was actually wide gauge?

Ric Golding said:
David,

In the western Penna area, Ohio and also some lines in the South had some 5’0" gauge track, which really throws off the Bachman 1:20.3 gauge for accuracy.

I’m gonna just fake it, only the rivet-counters will notice.

“In the western Penna area, Ohio and also some lines in the South had some 5’0” gauge track, which really throws off the Bachman 1:20.3 gauge for accuracy."

I applaude your energy and effort and certainly don’t qualify to be called a rivet-counter, but the Ohio and Mississippi Railroad was wide gauge before the 1870’s all the way to the Mississippi River across Indiana
and Illinois. I know the engines were big wheeled, but felt if you are working with 1/32 using 1/22.5 and 1/20.3 stuff might in some cases be justified with smaller appliances like break wheels and such.

The one way I could “cheat” the scale gods may be by using larger cars and other accessories to make the engine look smaller. (I think that’s going the right way.) Or maybe a 1:24 engine with 1:20 cars? My next engine will be either a 0-4-0 switcher, a ten-wheeler or a Mogul.

Oh, BTW, the Georgia RR was broad gauge as well and some of the Atlantic & Tennessee I believe. I have a good book about the Union RR, (no pictures) but not much on the Southern RR in the 1860s yet.

I have yet to settle on which side to model. I’m leaning towards the South since they didn’t draft the equipment into service as the North did, so more road names were prototypical versus the North’s all USMRR.

I would think 1:32 style crew memebers and maybe shorter cab roofs would really force the perspective.

David Hill said:
Ric Golding said:
David,

I’m gonna just fake it, only the rivet-counters will notice.

Are you going to lay your own track?
Indoors it would be easy to cut your roadbed and ties from a single board with a router. No loose ties to worry about.
You could adjust the width of the rail to standard gauge in whatever scale you choose.
The hard part would be widening the wheelbase of the rolling stock :wink:
Ralph

Ummm there wasn;t really a “standard Gauge” til the Civial War anyways…Abe Lincoln did it in a Railroad Act 1863 if I’m not mistaken. And the East was a terrible hodge podge of everything from 2footers to 5 foot up until then. While SG may have been the ones that survived to be documented, any of the established gauges had raillines ante bellum…