Large Scale Central

Some work on the layout...

My favorite time to work on my layout is fall. It’s cool out and then the rock and track work can weather for the winter and settle. I got some work done today. I started on a wye that comes off the “mountain”. For running purposes it is so the locos can make a straight run into the barn for storage. For ops it is where the mountain loco can turn for the return trip. At any rate it will get lined with rocks on the left and filled with gravel in the center.

More to come if I remember.

Terry

That is going to be sweet Terry, for some reason, I really enjoy a wye to turn trains.

Maybe that is because there is one at the San Diego Santa Fe station, and it was fun to watch the F units and passenger train turn right downtown, I still take that offramp from the freeway to go over that trackage, which is seldom used now, since most trains run push pull.

Greg

Wyes are neat, but try explaining one to a non train person, or I should say non train people. I ended up explaining it to several people we were riding with on the East Broad Top years ago.

Greg Elmassian said:

That is going to be sweet Terry, for some reason, I really enjoy a wye to turn trains.

Maybe that is because there is one at the San Diego Santa Fe station, and it was fun to watch the F units and passenger train turn right downtown, I still take that offramp from the freeway to go over that trackage, which is seldom used now, since most trains run push pull.

Greg

WYE ?

Wye? He’s our shortstop.

I have no problem explaining a wye, just ask someone if they have ever done a “3 point turn” in a car to reverse direction…

if they are really dense, explain pulling part way into a driveway to change direction…

Usually works.

Greg