Large Scale Central

Some new In-ko-pah RR photos!

I’ve posted five new photos of the In-ko-pah Railroad, beginning with this show of a train going over the concrete viaduct I built:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=3009006&a=32116967&p=75585988

With this bridge in place, I now have one section of track that goes all the way across the layout. We had some friends over on Saturday so I put out a train and ran it back and forth.

There is still much left to be done, but I’m making good progress. The upper level walkway has been completed where is goes behind the concrete bridge and through the canyon. The lower end of the canyon is nearly finished. I’m adding a rock facade to the concrete block retaining wall to blend it into the scenery, and that’s about halfway finished. Once the landscape is finished, I still have to build at least ten trestles and bridges before the track can be completed.

The last two photos show how the walkway slabs lift out to provide access into one of the tunnels, and also show how I textured the back of one mountain.

On Saturday, June 16th, we’ll be having an open house for members of the San Diego Garden Railway Society. Several members have expressed an interest in seeing the layout despite the fact that it’s still a work in progress.

Well shoot! I’ll be arriving in SD on the 20th to visit my brother. Then heading to Vegas on sunday for the convention and some side trips. Any chance of moving the open house up a week?..:wink:

Wow that bridge came out great! At least you didnt end up needing a fork lft to move it :wink:

How many people did it take to move it? Nice work!

Ken Brunt said:
Well shoot! I'll be arriving in SD on the 20th to visit my brother. Then heading to Vegas on sunday for the convention and some side trips. Any chance of moving the open house up a week?...............;)
If you'd like to swing by and see the layout while you're in San Diego, maybe we can work something out. My email is [email protected].
Doug Arnold said:
Thanks! It took two people to move the bridge. Merely moving it horizontally wasn't difficult. Getting up the steps, through the gate, and over the retaining wall was a pain.
Ray Dunakin said:
Doug Arnold said:
Thanks! It took two people to move the bridge. Merely moving it horizontally wasn't difficult. Getting up the steps, through the gate, and over the retaining wall was a pain.
Ray,

Mulling things led me to the conclusion that one or two more bridges would be a nice touch. I think I’ll cast mine in place. :wink: :slight_smile:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Mulling things led me to the conclusion that one or two more bridges would be a nice touch. I think I'll cast mine in place. ;) :)
You aren't going to build them out of genuine Graubunden stone? I am shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED.
Chris Vernell said:
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Mulling things led me to the conclusion that one or two more bridges would be a nice touch. I think I'll cast mine in place. ;) :)
You aren't going to build them out of genuine Graubunden stone? I am shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED.
Chris,

I am not surprised! Have you read how some of the really big bridges on the RhB were built? You’re in for an eye-opener! :wink: :slight_smile:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Have you read how some of the really big bridges on the RhB were built? You're in for an eye-opener! ;) :)
You can say one thing for those old engineers: They had an eye for beauty.

I’ve been concentrating on track work for the past week or so, and installed another temporary plank “bridge”. So by the time we have our open house on the 16th, I’ll have about 2/3 of the track in operating condition! The entire upper level will be complete as well as the downhill run on the middle level.

I’m also trying to get a few other things done such as installing handrails along the stairs at each end of the layout. And I’m hoping to get the canopy/gazebo thing put up too so we’ll have a little shade.

Nothing like a deadline to get a guy motivated!