Large Scale Central

Smoke generator experiment

I ordered a battery powered smoke generator for something other than G-scale. It got here today, and after seeing it, I thought about how I could use it in my dragon bus, which currently has a track powered Harbor Models generator. The generator is a Costronica Pocket Smoke, which is based off vape technology. It uses propylene glycol for smoke fluid, instead of mineral oil. It was fairly inexpensive, though a longish wait, since it came from Belgium, I think. I was able to remove the Harbor models unit, and hook the newq unit directly to the already in place tubing. The smoke tends to go down, instead of up. Not sure if I like that or not. What do you think?

3 Likes

Looks like the propylene glyco smoke is heavier than air. That could be dangerous if it’s combustible as some white smoke is.

It’s likely not dangerously flammable, since it’s the base fluid for most vape fluid, or so I understand.

Interesting. Looks kind of like he’s drooling.

1 Like

Kid-zilla thinks it looks “creepy.” I would say that it certainly has a supernatural effect. It would be cool to see a video of it in motion. Does it hang low along the tracks, or does it ride updward over the 'bus?

Eric

I’m gonna run it today on a temp track. My main track is pulled up for landscaping the yard.

Short video this morning showing the dragon bus moving to test the smoke. I’ll do better video later. Discovered after the fact that I had something on the lens of my camera.

Too cool!!

Per Wikipedia,

“Propylene glycol is approved and used as a vehicle for topical, oral, and some intravenous pharmaceutical preparations in the U.S. and in Europe.”

Per the CDC:

• "No workplace or environmental standards govern propylene glycol.

• Propylene glycol is “generally recognized as safe” by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) (FDA 2017). FDA considers an average daily dietary intake of 23 mg/kg of body weight to be safe for persons 2–65 years of age (ATSDR 2008)."

Seems fairly benign then, but I didn’t do any serious research.

I like how it goes to the ground when stationary, and flows nicely on the move.

Seems fairly available; Daniel, is this the same stuff?

Amazon

Tractor Supply

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the same stuff.

1 Like