Large Scale Central

Share my insanity, new layout track plan

Just a couple of pics of the torture track. This is the worst grade on the layout, so far I’ve found a couple engines I’ll need to add weight to for better traction. The last pics shows the kerfed rails on the easment section from grade to level, theres another corved easement at the bottom going into a reverse S curve, I wont have any but I figure thats a great way to test my engines[:D]

Vic, had a question when you first posted, and still have it.

Looks like your normal run is out of borracho up the hill and then back down.

Almost all of your spurs are “facing point” (right terminology?) so how are you getting cars off the loco unless you are pushing them?

You might be able to swap most of them around so that the freight can drop the cars off on the spur itself. Another way to handle spurs like this is to have a runaround or siding near each such spur. Don’t think you have the space for this at all.

What is your operating plan for this? Facing point spurs are often added to layouts to increase interest / time it takes to drop off and pick up, but it might be too much effort in your case.

Regards, Greg

Greg, depending on which starting point I use, I might have to push the cars up in order to drop them at some sidings, I’m only planning on 3 ore cars to each siding at a time or one frieght car, no big trains.

I described my switching procedure in my initial post, and my high tech ‘ice pick’ brake method.

You know, you might actually have cars with working couplers and pin lifters, and why not brakes that work? You will be throwing the turnouts yourself. All of these things will make it more fun, and will make the layout “larger” by taking more time.

Regards, Greg

Thats not so far fetched. Working brakes are actually pretty easy to do. The mechanism on a RR car is simple, and if we take a few shortcuts, they work well.