Large Scale Central

SF&BHC R.R. Repair rotted out track areas.

It that time again of replacing bad track boards that has almost gone over time. This area of the Helix is around 15 yr’s.s old and has had lot of heat and been soaked/ wet over the years and now has taking it tole on this part of the R.R…

Here is the area that has most of dry rot and now being replaced.

We re-placed it with latex painted boards and then it will be re-ballasted.

We re-palced about 16 foot in this area on the Helix down to the Swing Bridge. Also, we had to move the lower main line over about 3 inches away due to lower main line track keep moving from tree roots. Had to remove the underpass and will re-locate it later.

For our train group guys, here is the link for more photos of the mess being replaced.

http://s187.photobucket.com/user/noelw71/library/?sort=2&page=1

Then scroll down to " Re-paring tracks boards "

Later on, the Pine Tree Jct. Cattle spur need re-ballast after we raised it. It been getting flooded from Ouch Creek…

15 years isn’t bad for wood with ground contact. I have a few sections myself that need some help and it has only been 7.

Your swing bridge is super nice.

Keep up the good work.

Todd Haskins said:

15 years isn’t bad for wood with ground contact. I have a few sections myself that need some help and it has only been 7.

Your swing bridge is super nice.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the comment Todd… Not sure in your area, but here if we paint the boards with latex paint and about 3 thick coats, it seem to repel water and bugs for a long time. We even… after cutting to fit the ends to next boards we do the same plus painting the gussets too.

We tried treated boards, sealers and to us its just a bunch of extra money throwing away. We find out a Good brand of Latex paint works a lot better around here on our R.R. but our conditions may not be anywhere near the same as yours tho.

I still have some area that’s older and I see the latex fading.

Here is a photo of track boards that are behind our town. It’s going up the fence line on a 2 % grade that looks like its starting to fade. There about 15 yr’s old or more with just 3 coats of thick Battle ship gray latex. Other than needs painting again it’s held up pretty good so far.

Keep the pics coming Pap …I’m watching

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)