Large Scale Central

Servo controlled turnouts/points

Today I started working on the modeling aspect of this project. The servos will be hidden by a generic “equipment cabinet”. Years ago I trimmed some 3.5" square aluminum post scraps to 3.5" cubes with this use in mind. Today, they were finally put to use. Looking at prototype photos for ideas, most of the aluminum ones are made from panels, so I scribbed in some vertical lines with 4 passes of a utility knife. I would really like the lines to be wider and deeper, but couldn’t come up with a better way with the tools I have. The cabinets were drilled for 5mm LED holders and an opening was made for the push rod. Here is the preliminary test placement…

I’ve not worked out what I am going to do for a roof. Simplest would be a piece of flat aluminum stock attached with screws to the C shaped extrusion. The prototype I looked at has a slightly pitched center peak roof. I could bend something at work on the brake that might work. Cutting the end gables would be the challenge. That, and nearly all of the aluminum sheet stock I have at work is painted white or black. I suppose a black roof might work.

Next I soldered up a pair of RGB LEDs onto a multi conductor cable for the position indicators. These are wired to the relay board which has both N.O. and N.C. contacts for each relay. The default position (at power-up) is with the relay Open which sets the points to main-line and illuminates the green part of the LED. Shown here with M-10 doing the clearance test…

And another test with the switch thrown to the Willow Hill spur…

There is only one problem with the system defaulting to the main-line. The lift-out bridge just a foot or so away and might be open with just a manually placed peg being the only thing keeping a train from going into the abyss…

Fortunately, the RailPro system offers a solution. There are several inputs on the Accessory Module which can sense the position of an SPST switch. Their accessory programming logic allows for the state of an input to determine what action is (or is not) taken. I will be adding a SPST push button switch to the closure area of the bridge. I need to work out the exact program, but the theory is: If the bridge is down, allow the switch to be thrown to the main line. However, if the bridge is up, do not allow selection of the main line; move to and stay in the spur position until the bridge is down. I just need to work out and test the logic.

Another potential use for an input would be to sense a fascia mounted toggle switch used to throw the points if the hand controller isn’t handy. The logic for that might be a little tricky since it’s position will need to be ignored when the hand controller is used to throw the switch. Logic for this functionality is a bit hazy at the moment (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)so it will be a future enhancement.

Just when I had all the logic figured out and was just waiting on some Common Anode RGB LED’s so I could eliminate using the second relay to switch the LED’s and support Green/Blue alternating LEDs when the bridge was up - My new RailPro AM-1b crapped the bed. I’m pretty sure I didn’t overload it. Was diving a total of 300mA of bulbs with only one lit at a time when it threw an internal short circuit protection fault and shut down forever. The AM-1b will support a total of 400mA of load; either all on one output or divided among all the outputs.

By the time I get it repaired and back I’ll be well into summer stuff, so it looks like this project is DOA until fall (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)

That’s unfortunate! Any way to find out what happened? It would be bad to get it all fixed only to have it happen again.

I talked to the owner of Ring Engineering today. I may have F’d it up myself experimenting with using the negative side of a motor output as a switched Logic LO signal as referenced to the +5V output. I was told that’s a no-no, but he was surprised the built-in overload protection didn’t catch it.

Anyway, he says it can be fixed or replaced for $30 if it was my doing or free if he finds a defect. Just waiting for an RMA email so I can ship it.

So, I guess I’m going to end up paying some stupid tax. Ring says the board had a power output directly shorted to an input. I don’t recall ever making a direct connection, but I was playing with LEDs and Bulbs looking at all the inputs and outputs so I really can’t argue. To make it not hurt so much, they are allowing me to trade the fried one on a new one with sound. I’ll be more careful next time!

Jon Radder said:

So, I guess I’m going to end up paying some stupid tax.

What kinda tax?

Rooster said:

Jon Radder said:

So, I guess I’m going to end up paying some stupid tax.

What kinda tax?

When I do something stupid that costs me money, I call the cost “Stupid Tax”. I’ve paid a lot of it in my lifetime (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-money-mouth.gif)

Finally got some mojo working to make some progress on this project. The breadboard…

Over the last few evenings has evolved to this interface board…

Mostly, this functions as a connection point for the various boards that make up the system. Active components are trimmer pots to set the rest and active positions of two servo tester boards and a diode matrix to drop the 13.5 source voltage to around 12.3V for the relay board. This board interfaces to a RailPro AM-1S, two modified servo tester boards, a DC buck converter to provide 5V for the servo testers and a relay board driven by the AM-1S to select the route and change LED indicators.

Once everything is in place I’ll post some detail on operation and some neat additions I made to the accessory project logic for the AM-1S.

Jon,I have no idea what you just said but the pictures are cool(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Rick Marty said:

Jon,I have no idea what you just said

Sometimes I don’t either (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Coming together...

The home-brew board I posted a few days ago at bottom center with a voltage converter (DC Buck) sitting on top of it. Flanked on either side by cheap servo testers that have been modified to use external trimmer pots mounted on the interface board.

The servos will move two hard to reach switches on my indoor railroad.

Above the interface board is a relay board that is driven by outputs on the RailPro AM-1S. The relays add the second trimmer to the servo tester causing the points to move. The toggle switch labeled MG is standing in for a push button switch that will sense if a lift-out bridge is in position.

If the bridge is up, logic in the AM-1S will prevent the turnout from selecting the route to the bridge. The speaker sounds a warning bell when the bridge is opened and the points are moved.

Not shown are RGB LEDs that will indicate switch position - Green for mainline, Red for siding and flashing Blue when bridge is out. Operational tests on the railroad scheduled for this weekend.

Did a full functional test with the actual WILO switch yesterday. Everything ran flawlessly after some minor tweaking of the trimmers. Ran trains through both routes from both directions multiple times and at speed with no issues. I have a boxcar that likes to pick that switch. Not sure which one it was, so I’ll need to test them all! The servo holds the points nice and tight against the stock rails.

I did have one issue. The logic for my bridge sense switch was reversed. With the bridge open to points were forced to the bridge route! Also the default condition was to take the spur, not the main. Don’t really know if this was a coding error or a wiring error on the interface board, but, since the breadboard test was good, I’ll go with a wiring reversal.

After pondering the issue for a while I decided to try changing the relay switch that adds the second trimmer from Normally Open to Normally closed. Perfect! Now the default route is the main and opening the bridge moves to points to the route away from the bridge.

The last step for WILO is to get the position LEDs wired up, install a speaker and get a roof on the equipment cabinet. Then it’s on to NOOK!

Soldered up a board for the position indicator LEDs today. Almost done!

Jon,
I hope this now allows you to edit your thread.

1 Like

Thanks Joe - It does. Problem was it’s not “my” thread. It was started by GAP.

Borrowing an idea Motorola had for its Quasar Color TV in the late 1960’s “Works in a Drawer”

One day at work I had time to kill and lots of scrap 19mm foamed PVC board, so I designed and built a drawer and carrier utilizing some used glides I had salvaged. I had no idea what actual space I had to work with at the layout when I built it. I sized it based on the glides! When I got it home I discovered locating it was going to be a challenge. Changes needed to be made in bench and shelf support as well as moving stuff that would no longer fit on the shelf.

The challenge was met this week and the drawer was slung under the bench work. I then proceeded to figure out how I was going to power things and extend wiring from the drawer to the switch location. After primary and secondary power was figured out and wired I decided on ribbon cable to extend the 9 conductors I needed at the servo location. Here are the latest progress photos.

Drawer face is black composite aluminum board which will match the fascia once it’s finished…

In the photo below, in the back is a Meanwell 12V supply that has an output adjustment which I tweaked to the max voltage of 13.6V. The RailPro AM-1 does not like anything under 13 volts.

In front of the supply is a convenience outlet and a power switch for the supply. At right, the power supply output goes into a terminal block for future use…

And finally, the control modules are still mounted on a thin piece of PVC board and just sit in the drawer…

The only thing temporary in the above shot is the speaker. I haven’t decided yet on what speaker I’ll use and where it will go. At the moment the only sound being used is a warning bell when the bridge is up and points are forced away from the bridge.

And finally, the ribbon cable terminates in a connector that will live in the equipment shed. The cabinet and LED board are not in this shot as it is being repaired…

All that is left to do now is re-make the LED board shown above. I damaged it beyond easy repair trying to fix a broken wire. When that’s done I’ll move on to mount and wire the servo and LEDs at NOOK.

1 Like

Dan, do you know if the continuous rotation mode Sparkfun servo trigger board can be used in place of the Standard mode board?

I have only used the standard one but I would think it would. BTW: there is now another option. I picked up a few of these for a grade crossing signal project. https://www.vasileelettronica.com/pagina-prodotto/controllo-per-servocomando?lang=en

Thanks Dan, the last ones I ordered turned out to be continuous and Robbie’s are marked “standard”.

I’m really not sure where my head was at when I dismissed the Sparkfun controller as usable. The way my system ended up working, this board would work fine. I may pick up a few to play with since my system has a glitch that I can’t track down: servos wiggle randomly. Might be due to some RF interference or the like. Originally I thought it was a intermittent connection, but none found. Replacing my home-brew boards might eliminate it.

I’m currently using the AirWire Converter and Phoenix Coupler Driver to activate the couplers on my boxcars and have experienced the same issue with erratic servo action. Changing the servo in the KaDee remote coupler has been my only solution.
I’m now in the process of converting to the Railpro system, which prompted my initial question.