Large Scale Central

Seeking advice on turnout replacement

Hi guys:

One of my Aristocraft LH #6 switches was damaged during a meet last month and it looks like I need to replace it. Since replacements are difficult to find (and I am not that thrilled with these switches anyway) I am looking for an alternative in Code 332. The Train-Li website states that similar turnouts would be the Proline R7, LGB R5 and USA #6. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks.

I have a few USAT #6 switches which work well.
However, I find that my brass code 250 Sunset valley #6 switches seem to be most reliable. Perhaps you might consider going with Stainless steel code 250 for added durability? You could use transitional rail clamps to mate the code 332 to 250 in a trouble-free manner. Otherwise, I think the USAT will work fine for you.

I have a few Train-LI R-7 switches on the layout… They have been outside for about a year or more… I haven’t had a problem with them…

I think the USA will be a drop-in replacement. Others will be close, but not exact.

I have mostly second hand LGB R3 turnouts. They’ve been out in my railway for many years without any problems. All of them are manually operated.

I’ll take a hard look at the USA. A drop in would be great.

I have 5 USA trains switches on my layout, so far no problems. Been outside for about six years. I did take off the USA switch machines and replaced them with a Tenmille ground throws.

Don

Don, are you using track power?

Did you remove all the original electrics?

If you are using track power, how are you powering the frog?

Thanks, Greg

I think the USA switches are a tad shorter but that is on the point end of the switch so you just need to add a small straight piece. I have had my USA #6 switches out for about 7 years. I too took off the switch machine but other that that they work great.

Terry

Greg,

Battery power, changed over about seven years ago. I just removed the switch machine.

Don