Large Scale Central

Scratchbuilt hoist & other new pics!

I just posted several new photos showing the latest progress on the railroad, beginning with this shot of a scratchbuilt mine hoist:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=3009006&a=32116967&p=76081058

Or go here to see the entire album:
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=3009006&a=32116967&f=

The hoist was made from styrene and brass, plus a few odd bits. The levers and one large gear came from Ozark Miniatures. The electric motor was made from a brass tube and four fancy buttons.

The next four shots show the hoist house and headframe, also scratchbuilt. You can see the hoist through the doorway of the building. Eventually there will be more equipment inside, and more exterior details. The building has scale lighting.

Next are two night photos of the mine. These were time exposures taken under a full moon. The structure lights don’t have a permanent power supply yet so I connected a 9v battery to the interior lighting for these photos.

After the night photos, there are two shots looking towards the mine from other parts of the layout.

Next is a shot showing construction of the canyon at the east end of the layout. I had to tear out a large section of retaining wall blocks in order to enlarge and widen the canyon. The next three shots show the canyon after the rock work has been completed. Eventually there will be a couple trestles crossing this canyon, including one over 9 feet long.

The last remaining rock work to be done was at the lower east corner. This next photo shows it prior to completion, with the original track alignment. I decided to alter the track here in order to widen the curves, eliminating the only section of 2.5’ radius on the entire layout. In the following photo you can see the completed rock work and the beginnings of the new track alignment.

The last two photos show how I cast the bridge abutments in place, using a form made from foamcore art board and hot glue.

It is now two years since I started this layout. All major rock work is now finished, with only some minor alterations and fine-tuning needed here and there. The track on the lower level is still unfinished. I’m currently focused on building the trestles needed to complete this section.

Ray I can see where this layout is heading and i have to say, when all is said and done if your layout doesnt get published, theres something very wrong with our hobby. I personally think it should not only be in GR, but the Gazette and even in Model Railroader.

Victor Smith said:
Ray I can see where this layout is heading and i have to say, when all is said and done if your layout doesnt get published, theres something very wrong with our hobby. I personally think it should not only be in GR, but the Gazette and even in Model Railroader.
I'll say. This is one of the most impressive LS railroads I have viewed when it comes to rock work and structure detail. This one NEEDS to be published. My congratulations to the builder. The detail you put into that headframe donkey blows me away. Can't tell the difference between it and the real thing.

Ray, Your RR has made amazing progress and looks great. As already mentioned the rock work and structure work are very well done. It looks as though most of the rockwork is dry stacked real rocks. Are you doing any casting or carving of mortar in addition? I have a tunnel situation that scenically is almost identical to yours even down to the timber tunnel portal.

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/RichardSmith/RRConstruction/224-Tunnel4-06Nov2007-Web.JPG)

I saved a photo of your treatment of a similar portal for future reference and aid for “facing” my tunnel. I hope you don’t mind. Of course I have to be more frugal in the quantity of rock used since it all has to be supported by benchwork. Thanks for the pic tour of your RR. I too will be surprised if it doesn’t one day appear in print.

Ray, the way you’ve adapted your RR to the climate is brilliant, and your scratch building is wonderful. There’s a saying about “scratching the engineer and finding the artist” that fits you to a tee.

Loved the shot of your grand-daughters playing with the trains. Less then 24 hrs now 'til my daughter, son-in-law and grandsons arrive in Perth!

Thanks guys, coming from such skilled modelers this is high praise indeed!

Richard, the rocks are “99 44/100%” natural. Most are held in place with mortar but there are also a lot that are dry stacked. Even where mortar was used, I tried to fit the rocks together such that they’d be fairly stable without mortar. The last thing I want is to have it falling apart if the mortar ever developed cracks or something.

I’ve only simulated rock in a few places, mainly inside the tunnels and around the portals.

Still making progress here… I’m nearly finished with the new curved, five-foot long trestle at the lower east end of the layout. Also working on the two small trestles for the inside track on that curve. And I’ve started on the big ten-foot long trestle.

Last night I made a two-piece silicone rubber mold so I can cast my own 55 gallon steel drums. Started making resin castings tonight. The drums are open at one end, so they can either be “full” or empty depending on which end is up. I’ll also be able to dent and mangle them as needed, to represent old, battered drums.

And I’m building some more miniature stone retaining walls.

That is onw beautiful layout. Do you have any idea how many tons of rock it has rakem?

Doug Arnold said:
That is onw beautiful layout. Do you have any idea how many tons of rock it has taken?
Hard to say for sure, but I'd guess at least 20 tons. Hauled 'em all in the cargo area of my Isuzu Trooper. Made a LOT of trips, and wore out the shocks.
Ray Dunakin said:
Doug Arnold said:
That is onw beautiful layout. Do you have any idea how many tons of rock it has taken?
Hard to say for sure, but I'd guess at least 20 tons. Hauled 'em all in the cargo area of my Isuzu Trooper. Made a LOT of trips, and wore out the shocks.
Been there, done that, got the teeshirt, wore it out. And several pairs of shorts too.

Ain’t it a killer if you have a flat backyard and you want to build a mountain pike?

I bought a weightlifter’s belt to reinforce my middle when lifting rocks. Works great.

It also works for lifting winebuckets full of dirt and stone.

What is the matter with us all? I think I need to see a shrink…