Large Scale Central

Rotary Plows explained

Oh and let me state for the record before any mud starts slinging, that I was not, nor intended in any way to give Tac a hard time in my rebuttal post. Tac is right about the grammatically correct usage of the word ‘won’t’. My rebuttal is to the language itself, and its weird and quirky issues.

I apologize for derailing the thread and taking this in a none train related direction, as well as adding a potentially hot issue.

Just a thought… Thread derailment is not allowed until page 3. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Yes Steve and I tend to type before I think much like in my verbal communication. Just like a real derailment once it starts all you can do is watch and wait to see how much damage you cause.

Since there are some here with delicate outer teguments - I had no idea that my posts were overly critical - I’ve deleted them.

It’s a first for me, and, I hope, a last, too.

Mr Sinsley, you don’t know me, else you would not have accused me of being overly critical.

I’m do’ed with this thread. Is that gooder for you?

tac

tac Foley said:

Since there are some here with delicate outer teguments - I had no idea that my posts were overly critical - I’ve deleted them.

It’s a first for me, and, I hope, a last, too.

Mr Sinsley, you don’t know me, else you would not have accused me of being overly critical.

I’m do’ed with this thread. Is that gooder for you?

tac

Tac,

I owe you an apology and do so formally here. I was neither hurt by your comments or put off in anyway. I opened the door and you more than graciously responded and did so with no malice or ill intention. I took everything you wrote in a positive way. I am not sure where I accused you of being overly critical, but that doesn’t matter, if you took it that way then I owe you an apology.

Devon, we are all friends here. Apologies are not needed, but thank you all the same. I’ll save it for a time when we really need it :wink:

We move on.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

tac Foley said:

As an aside, it seems that our very own AccuCraft maven, Cliff Luscher, is trawling around the other site for possible customers for a live-steam-dreven, but NOT self-propelled rotary in GAUGE 1.

However, a few over there have expressed an interest in a 20.3 version, despite the inevitable very high cost, and the fact that if it ain’t Colorado or White Pass, it ain’t.

What are the thoughts here?

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

I would love to See what accucraft would come up with. But, having said that would probably not make the investment. Being that my prototype owned no such equipment the only motivation would be to clear my model pike for winter operation. I have thought it would be very cool to have an actual steam powered rotary to clear the lines, but it’s not high on the list of items to model/build. I’m very much a scratch builder, so if and when I would decide that this project would get funding, I would scratch it and model it after something the EBT might have created.

Just curious as to what the selected prototype would be if not Colorado or white Pass?

Will you walk a little faster?" said a whiting to a snail.

"There’s a porpoise close behind us, and he’s treading on my tail.
see how eagerly the lobsters and the turtles all advance!
they are waiting on the shingle – will you come and join the dance?
will you, won’t you, will you, won’t you, will you join the dance?
will you, won’t you, will you, won’t you, will you join the dance?

“You can really have no notion how delightful it will be
when they take us up and throw us, with the lobsters, out to sea!”
but the snail replied “Too far, too far!” and gave a look askance –
said he thanked the whiting kindly, but he would not join the dance.
would not, could not, would not, could not, would not join the dance
would not, could not, would not, could not, would not join the dance.

“What matters it how far we go?” his scaly friend replied.
“There is another shore, you know, upon the other side.
The further off from England the nearer is to France –
Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.
will you, won’t you, will you, won’t you, will you join the dance?”
will you, won’t you, will you, won’t you, will you join the dance?"

Lyrics by Lewis Carroll

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell. My comment was aimed at the only three-foot gauge railroads/ways in North America [correct me if I’m wrong] that still have STEAM-powered rotaries. They will be HUGE in 20.3, it should be noted.

If AccuCraft intend to make them in 32nd scale Gauge 1, then it’s a big shrug from me. The video kindly provided by friend Steve shows the SP’s rotary, but it should be remembered that north of the 48th they have a real problem with this white stuff, as do the lower-48th operators contiguous to the border. I’m guessing that they could make anything for any railroad from a line drawn halfway up the USA.

Selling it, on the other tentacle, might be a problem - I cheerfully predict a gauge 1 sticker price of around $3500 - and half as much again for 20.3.

Like a few others here, I could make one, and just might someday if the Creek don’t rise. I already have a few spare cabeese in that scale that could be used as a basis for a reasonable representation of the White Pass original AND a Colorado ditto.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

I have never personally seen an accucraft model in person. But they look great in the pictures. lots of detail, and i know how well respected they are. With that said a live steam snow chucker made by them especially in 1:20.3 would be impressive I am sure.

For those interested in such here’s one of the beasties. When it says “Schnee ist zu nass” it means “Snow is too wet/heavy” the rest is plain to see, eh! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

And then one more but this one is electric and amazingly it progresses through the “White Stuff” more or less at the protos speed. I’m impressed! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

If I remember correctly one of my “buddies” built a Live Diesel Brünig version; if I can find it.

PS Wow editing works, it no longer nukes the embed code.

Sorry no video, but a pix from the testrun with styrofoam.

I guess that would trim a few other things, too.

This is D&RGW Rotary OV sitting in Chama. Its really not that big, in comparison to a K unit, maybe a little longer if you count the water car.

And the business end:

Hmmmmmm, make that $5000.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Many of the electrically powered model Rotary snow throwers seem to run at warp speed. Would they throw as well or better geared down to a more sedate and applying some torque to the problem?

I am not sure that steamer, unless really uber powerful, could manage any but the lightest, most powdery snow anyhow.

That one in the video Hans posted does a very nice job. It looks like the blade/fan is more exposed without a shroud so it bites into the snow right away. Did it have a chute? the engines must be battery powered to run so smooth and slow. No matter how long I acclimate my pushers they still ice up on the track powered rails.

Super photos Dave. They show the need for precutters including a “wingnut” on the cone. I don’t think I have seen precutters before on other protos. It just goes to show that each RR is unique in its equipment.

Eric are the gears in your brain turning?? Will we be seeing a rotary on your RR next year?

Eric Schade said:

Many of the electrically powered model Rotary snow throwers seem to run at warp speed. Would they throw as well or better geared down to a more sedate and applying some torque to the problem?

I am not sure that steamer, unless really uber powerful, could manage any but the lightest, most powdery snow anyhow.

Eric and Todd, this is why I really like what Rick Isard is doing with his Rotary project. http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/23043/something-i-ve-been-working-on

It seams like it will always have ample power to muscle through wet snow and has multiple speeds. I’m really looking forward to seeing it at ECLSTS.

Here’s an awesome video… it’s a 27 minute documentary about the UP’s rotaries and how they were used in 2011 to rescue the crew of a train that was stuck in an avalanche:

http://vids.kvie.org/video/2365218614/

Yup, that was posted on Page 2…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)