Large Scale Central

Rotary Plows explained

Todd thanks for the description and videos. I do see what your saying about the pre-cutter doing the bulk of the work also the heavier snow. All in all a fun project though. I just have to many to my list.

Here’s my snow thrower that’s almost finished. I’ve have it on display at the ECLSTS in York.

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/23043/something-i-ve-been-working-on

I followed your link Rick and that is one fine looking rotary you built there. We need to see it in action soon.

Ideal blower wheels for a rotary plow should look like either type 2 or type 3 in the Cincinnati Fan link here: http://www.cincinnatifan.com/blower-wheels.htm. This design wheel will be non clogging in both directions or rotation, allowing a more prototypical design for your railroad. These folks do not have any thing that small, but I am trying to provide the best solution in terms of a fan wheel. I will continue to look for a vendor who may be able to supply something.

Bob the type 2 one I could see being made from brass sheet and some soldering work. I get where your coming both from a clog stand point and a rotation stand point.

This maybe a stupid question but did the real thing spin both ways? Purpose? is this for shooting snow to different sides?

Thanks Todd, and shortly I’ll have a post on the redesign installation and a working video for everyone to view. I’m just waiting on a loco machinist to drill the shaft down to 1/2 so we can attach the Kirby vacuum blade.

Bob, I have a supplier that has several new and used Kirby vacuum metal blades, when those run out we’ll have to go to the plastic version. But, I do like those version you suggested from the link. I’ll see if their interested in designing a small verison.

Yes Devon, the prototype could discharge snow on either side of the rotary. This would require the blades to rotate in either directions to allow the rotary to discharge on whichever side the railroad needed. You certainly would not want to discharge into a rock wall where there is a cut on one side of the line and a large fall off on the other…

This video even shows a scene where they stop and reverse the direction of discharge. Like others I can not get the video to embed, so go to Youtube and search for "

SPMW 208 Rotary Snowplow in Action!"

If you want to waste more time check out this video from PBS.
http://video.pbs.org/video/2365218614/

Here we see the B&M’s Beast @ work!

Vac impeller and shaft mounted in a cordless drill with battery power!

Just get er done!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

As an aside, it seems that our very own AccuCraft maven, Cliff Luscher, is trawling around the other site for possible customers for a live-steam-dreven, but NOT self-propelled rotary in GAUGE 1.

However, a few over there have expressed an interest in a 20.3 version, despite the inevitable very high cost, and the fact that if it ain’t Colorado or White Pass, it ain’t.

What are the thoughts here?

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

My thoughts are that it would be way cool to see a live steam version including all the defrosting options on a separate trigger. But as you mention the cost won’t be cheap so therefore seeing will be the operative word.

As I wrote the word “won’t” it made me wonder if that word is proper English. Its a contraction for “will not” (at least that’s how I use it) so shouldn’t it be “willn’t”.

Devon,

You will find that “won’t” is proper English, not Devonspeak. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Read this…

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2013/03/wont-willnt.html

Post deleted

yeah wot he saed…

It takes courage, Tac, to bring up the subject of correct word usage on most websites. Anyone who does this is seen as elitist and a member of the “Grammar Police”.

It is sad that we have become a nation of people who feel that correct communications are “optional”. The internet, lowered academic standards, and laziness have given us a population of people who just don’t care to pay attention to the virtues of the correct way to express oneself.

The current crop of college graduates are academically at about the level of High School students from my era (I graduated in 1959). My Step Daughter graduated from University in the late 70s and couldn’t even form a complete sentence or tell me where Montana was on the map! Yet she has a BA inInternational Business and Marketing! Sad, really

Post deleted.

tac Foley said:

Will > will not > won’t

Do > do not > don’t

Can > can not > can’t

Is > is not > isn’t

S’easy. :slight_smile:

No it isn’t (is not) so easy.

In each case of isn’t, don’t shouldn’t, couldn’t, wouldn’t the contraction is of a verb and the adverb not. They each use the entire verb is, do, should, could, and would and modify the adverb not to the contracted form n’t. In the contraction can’t the verb and contacted adverb share the n and I can buy that because cann’t does not flow well. But back to our case in point won’t; by the above examples it would read as a contraction between the verb wo(e) or won and the adverb not. Therefor to contract the verb will and the adverb not should be willn’t not won’t. how do you get wo from the verb will?

Woe (stress, worry) not my good friend. = Won’t my good friend.

I won not the game my good friend. = I won’t my good friend.

I will not buy your car. = I willn’t buy your car.

We English speakers understand won’t because we are accustom to it; however take someone learning our language, and is not familiar with the contraction won’t, and ask them to identify the verb.

Just sayin’ (look at me playin’ grammar police).

Edit: jeepers even in my own defense my spelling and grammar are horrible.

Andrew (Andy of permissable),

I couldn’t agree more. However the comedy of it is that in '85 I moved my family from northeast NJ to east TN. My oldest daughter’s english teacher (she was in 6th grade) begged us to have her 'not migrate to the local accent or pick up the local slanguage. Difficult to do when a child wishes to fit in. However the upstart of the whole affair was that she could turn it on or off at will, and still does. We have endeavored to maintain good english habits in our four children, who endeavor to instill it in theirs. For my children that has become extremely difficult and very frustrating when the teachers don’t support them. We must consider the source.

tac,

Although I did not attend the upper levels of public education in the states, it was impressed upon me by my educators at the time the importance of proper english and it’s importance in communication. As a mechanical designer, whose medium is written communication, proper english and grammar are paramount. I don’t consider anyone who is proud of his education to be an elitist, especially when they share that knowledge. To my way of thinking, and elitist is the individual who has a displayed ‘I’m better than you’ attitude, and I have never gotten that from you.

Too bad in the U.S. english is becoming a second language…:frowning:

Andrew Moore said:

It takes courage, Tac, to bring up the subject of correct word usage on most websites. Anyone who does this is seen as elitist and a member of the “Grammar Police”.

It is sad that we have become a nation of people who feel that correct communications are “optional”. The internet, lowered academic standards, and laziness have given us a population of people who just don’t care to pay attention to the virtues of the correct way to express oneself.

The current crop of college graduates are academically at about the level of High School students from my era (I graduated in 1959). My Step Daughter graduated from University in the late 70s and couldn’t even form a complete sentence or tell me where Montana was on the map! Yet she has a BA inInternational Business and Marketing! Sad, really

Andrew,

It shouldn’t be a hot topic like you suggest. I am a product of said education system. I can’t spell and grammar I have down but only when I think about it. I never get annoyed or put off by someone correcting me. I learned much about grammar after I graduated and began to write in my various professions. Now that I am in school again pursuing a Master’s degree and have to write for my grades, I struggle because it does not come second nature.

When playing the grammar police one should keep it friendly and not overly critical as Tac did and all should be fine.