Large Scale Central

Roll out the barrel

tearing down a layout is a listless, brainless and boring chore.
so the mind wanders. in this case it wandered to, and wondered about barrels.

over the decades i have colected some barrels. from left to right:
about half a dozen found in cheap chinese war stuff sets, about forty from the “Carrera” 1:32 slotcar line, some wooden barrels from older wild west stuff, dozens of plastic barrels out of chinese farm toy sets, a handfull of playmobil barrels - and last, not least, nearly 200 wooden barrels, a carpenter turned for me from palisander. (he thought me crazy, but made the things and took my money)
these barrels are, what made me thinking. they were just good enough for background placements.

what to do with them? use them, as is?

paint them? (here with a marker)

or what?

after thorough investigation (about half a minute) i had a revelation:
a model likens the real thing best, if made in the same manner.

after a searchparty into our generalstore i came up with this:

with help of the cooper (the guy on the left) we gave hoops to the barrel on the left and barrel bands to the other two.

what did “we” use?

something, most people see every day, without noticing.
rubberbands for the hair!

ask your wife, daughter, or granddaughter… or a guy with a ponytail.

here we pay 2000Gs (0.25$us) for a bag with ?? … many.

i had used them before, to make belts and shoulderstraps for figures, but to use these loops as hoops was a brand new idea, i just had to share.

There’s your project for the next MIK:
Korm’s Coopery

korm’s coopery :thinking:

but, but,… - - … i still haven’t finished my 2011 competition build…

Korm,

Found an inspirational warning sign done by the Redwood City Council for Wile E. Coyote

Would love to know if it’s real or AI

i love it!
if it is real, it would be interesting to know, how many of the readers do believe the smallprint.

Folks;
I have recycled English Leather (after shave or cologne) knobs into barrels, using drafting tape for the bands. Just a thought to pass along, Photos below:

They can also make a good conductor’s seat

Best, David Meashey

1 Like