Large Scale Central

Rockwall Canyon Improvements 2016

It’s been awhile since I’ve shown any progress on the RCRR, but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been happening!

Over the winter I removed quite a few trees and surveyed about an acre of land. To get started, I had to build some walkways and bikeways using 1-1/2in crushed stone as a base. This will make wheelbarrow moves much easier since the ground is a bit soft, and biking will be much cleaner for the kids. The railroad will skirt the edge of the new clearing and should add at least 100ft of row to the double track mainline. Most of this will be elevated trackage, but it will eventually settle back to ground level where I will be placing another 20ft dia reverse loop (temporary?).

Anyways, the only new track in place for the expansion are the two turnouts which will allow trains to bypass the existing reverse loop at the end of the line. This loop will be retained for some of the live steam engines (and perhaps operators) who struggle on 2% grades.

the wooden bridge off to the right was from an older project, but it shows the approximate height and curve that will be built there. The curve will be retained with local field stone and filled with crushed stone

The big improvement from this weekend is the turnout configuration of the live steam tables!

You’ve been busy, Jeff. Looks good.

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

(taking lessons from Rooster)

Looks great! You need more MBTA equipment!

Daktah John said:

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

(taking lessons from Rooster)

Jon is looking for a train headed to the the geisha house in the redlight district within the outskirts of Boston that serves free beer. He has been naughty and should be spanked!

Does this count?

" Rooster " said:

Looks great! You need more MBTA equipment!

Hehehe…Love it!

The head unit needs HEP cabling and ditch lites though.

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

^I’ll be happy to get a working headlamp on her!

Here’s the new ROW extension for the RCRR! The stone path is for foot traffic, the track will be elevated adjacent to it.

That is a nice long run that you have there.

Very cool! Can’t wait to try it out!

Very nice additions. Love to see railroad expansions.

Thanks for showing us your work.

Stan

Jeff

Looks great!

Remind me do you run Battery or track power?

Thanks guys!

Hi Sean,

'Been off the grid since y2k (Battery/steam). I do my battery stuff on the cheap though… I only have 2 road diesels with battery-RC (plus MU capability), 1 batt-RC switcher, and 1 battery-RC heavyweight combine. My other diesels (10 more) can be connected to either the combine for power or an rc-equipped road diesel.

I very recently removed the temporary battery-rc from the F40PH. In its place, I will be adding a battery and RailbossPlus to one of my MBTA RDCs. This will allow me to power up the F40PH or any other engine and it will give me the ability to make automated station stops.

I was never a huge fan of battery cars, since it ties down your ability to run ops. However, with passenger car-based systems it makes more sense. More often than not, passenger trains are kept together for the entire run. Plus its nice to have power onboard for intierior lighting and in the case of the MBTA, it gives directional lighting for the headlamps and markers.

And for me the most important feature is that it keeps the heard of batteries and RC systems down to a manageable number of 5.