Large Scale Central

Rockwall Canyon Geeps

Rockwall Canyon GP7s: #1741, 1742, &1743 have received new snowplows and high hood bells in preparation for the colder seasons ahead. The photos show all engines with plows and one unit with the bell mounted. As of this evening, all units are now completed.

Here we see the combination of Kadee whiskars and snowplows coexisting! Also, there is no problem with trippins from rolling stock interfering with the plow either. Case closed on that old concern!

Plows and bells were custom designed and produced by minatures by Eric. The prototype locomotive for the detail parts is NHN 1757 ( formerly of PRR vintage). Thanks for a great job on the details Eric!

Nice details and sharp looking paint job.

It’s nice to see upgraded 7s like this. I have always liked the 7s and 9s.

excellent diesels

Thanks guys! Glad you like the improvements!

Jeff

How hard were the plows to install?

I hope they are sturdier that USA’s!

Can we get a behind the seen shot on were the plows are mounted?

They look great!

Do you think they will hold up to plowing snow?

Charlie Brown saw these and he might want some on his Geeps!

Hi Sean,

The installations were pretty easy. I used Kadee #905 body-mounted couplers directly bolted to the front sill using brass micro fasteners. For the plow, I had to file a bit of the train line connections on each side to create a flat surface for the plow frame to set. (The back side of the plow has 2 narrow vertical plates for mounting). I used an aggressive contact adhesive (“Amazing Goop”) to join the plow to the frame.

I like this contact adhesive better than a plastic cement or hard epoxy. This product produces a somewhat rubbery bond that withstands a bit more abuse and is resistant to shock failure…for a plow, this is nice.

The application technique is a bit strange. First, apply glue to the plow, and press it onto the engine’s sill. Next, remove the plow for 15 seconds and then reapply the plow. Once the glue has set the plow is finished. Additional glue can be added to the joints to further reinforce the plow if it seems to be needed.

How come you didn’t bolt them on?

Hi Sean,

On my first attempt I made 2 brass angle brackets that were bolted to lower plate of the plow and front sill of the loco. This worked well, but it was difficult to get to the bolts fastned. I decided to try using the glue instead since I trust it for a lot of similar tasks. Although I don’t really care to demonstrate, i suspect I could pick up the locomotive by the plow without it falling off.

Your locomotives look real nice , especially like your color choices (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif).

Thanks Mike!

I assume you got your influence from the MKT?

My paint scheme is sort of a blending of New Hampshire Northcoast (NHN) and a very briefly used Maine Central scheme.

nhn pic http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=312596&nseq=0

mec pic: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=337031&nseq=9

Locos look good Jeff!

The MKT and BN were my inspiration for my fleet . Didn’t want the long stripes on the cab and such like MKT did theirs but liked the colors. Back in the day when I could see I modeled the BN in HO scale . I can see the NHN influence in your stuff , real cool !

I can’t seem to find any G scale parts by him? (miniatures by Eric).

On a search no dealer that I looked at has these plows.

Hi Joe,

Ive only ordered directly through him, but it looks like he may be changing over his website to a new platform. Http://www.miniaturesbyeric.com

I’ll send him an email to see if he’s continuing the G gauge line.

Thank you! Let me know if I can get some G scale stuff too!

I seem to have found the active catalog page for large scale. Unfortunatley, many of the parts do not have pictures, but they are easily imagined. The one exception, I like the looks of the GP3 plow vs the GP1 plow which has a steeper angle to it than most of our US prototypes. http://miniaturesbyeric.com/itmidx10.htm