Large Scale Central

Rocks

In New England we grow rocks. Unfortunately there is always one in just the wrong place. We are currently digging a new tunnel and you guessed it. One rather large rock right in the middle. Fortunately we have been able to nudge it so it just a matter of time before it is out of the tunnel area.

Stan

1:20.3 scale dynamite?

I’m trying to picture where this is. Is this past the area we dug out last year and lined with rock?

I could use some more large boulders…How much to ship to Minnesota?

Stan that looks more like a small boulder than a rock!

We have lots of rocks on the Cape too that is why I called my RR “The Rock Root and Pup Poop Railroad” I have plenty of all 3.

Good luck with that new tunnel.

I’m glad I’m not the only one with boulder problems. Its good and bad. Good because people pay big bucks for rocks and we get them for free and bad because it makes it very difficult to dig lol

Stan

looks like going to need the backhoe again.

between house and shed headed toward road

richard

Bob McCown said:

I’m trying to picture where this is. Is this past the area we dug out last year and lined with rock?

Bob

Dynamite, Interesting idea.

Finally getting back to the extension from under the shed to the yard that will go next to the fence. Last year we dug the tail track of the Y just before the extension. This year we are digging the actual extension.

This will be a longer tunnel about 12-14 ft and about 4 to 5 ft deep. The entry path to the new area will go over the tunnel. The plan is to move the rock out to the end and use it as part of the face.

Should have the initial grading for the roadbed done by Trainops.

Stan

Sheesh … and I have to go out and get rocks or have them delivered!

Bob McCown said:

I wanna see a scale boring machine …Huuumm

You’re brave, Stan, to have such a long tunnel. You planning any access to the middle of it somehow?

I was thinking the same thing John. That will be one long tunnel and deep too. I’m sure Stan has a plan. Maybe he will make it large enough so the guy who pulls the short straw can climb in to fetch any derailed equipment? After sending a camera car through my long tunnel and seeing crickets, spiders and a possible bat I wouldn’t want to be that guy!

The scale boring machine is a great idea.

I have a blasting license, however I worked with several tons of rock at a time. I can’t be held responsible for any damage that may or may not occur to surrounding structures by “shooting” one big rock… :wink:

Stan Ames said:

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/stan_ames/rock%20in%20tunnel.jpg)

Do you need me to come up and move that one like I did to the last one.

I have a friend who has a tunnel that must be 20-30 feet long. In the middle is a man hole and a 12 foot ladder down which one descends to get to the track.

It certainly makes life interesting.

Todd Haskins said:

I was thinking the same thing John. That will be one long tunnel and deep too. I’m sure Stan has a plan. Maybe he will make it large enough so the guy who pulls the short straw can climb in to fetch any derailed equipment? After sending a camera car through my long tunnel and seeing crickets, spiders and a possible bat I wouldn’t want to be that guy!

The scale boring machine is a great idea.

Too early for a real plan. The tunnel proper is dug and deb and I moved the big roc about 5 ft to neat the expected west portal where the rock should form a great looking face. Removes a second rock about 1/2 the size and working on a third. Assuming we can get to the desired grade on the west approach then we will start planning the actual tunnel.

The SJR&P already has several large tunnels, A 14 ft and a 22 ft both with easy access to the center in case of derailment. likely will have to do the same with this one.

Stan

Stan, not to derail this thread, but can you shed some light on the Bachmann trolley, posted in the general forum?