Large Scale Central

ROBUST CROSSING SIGNALS

Fred forwarded me a picture of the new signals that were built for IPP&W and RPM Railways’ crossing north of Bellamy.

CROSSING SIGNALS

Judging by the brown downspout in the background, I assume they are mounted on 2 inch conduit and the LED signal lights would be about 2 inches in diameter. That would make them easy enough for us old farts to see them. I heard rumors that they will be controlled from the dispatcher’s tower.

This crossing is the site of the only train crash in the IPP&W Railway’s 25 year history. The names will be withheld to protect the guilty. The temporary dispatcher (who is fond of beer) gave clearance to an IPP&W engineer in Peter’s Pond to cross the diamond to Bellamy. Unfortunately the clumsy engineer (AKA slot car diesels) managed to derail a few cars at start up. After re-railing them, he hastily set out for his destination.

In the meantime the dispatcher assuming the IPP&W engineer was long gone, gave clearance to an RP&M engineer in Nelson Yard to cross the diamond to Rat Portage Yard. Fortunately both engineers spotted the other train hurtling towards the diamond in front of them. Unfortunately both being males shouted at each other that they had the right of way, and never bothered to reduce speed assuming the other would stop. NAUGHT!

Let me guess…the Flying Dutchman was one…and an unamed person with the initials PN was the other…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

You forget, I’ve seen you guys in action before.

But there were 3 people mentioned. A beer liking dispatcher, and 2 headstrong engineers.

David Maynard said:

But there were 3 people mentioned. A beer liking dispatcher, and 2 headstrong engineers.

A beer liking dispatcher??..that describes half of Ottawa…and all the IPP&W and RPM crews…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

i really do not care how big they are, they can be used for … people crossing scaled down, or what ever. They would be great at the entrance to my backyard at open houses. So please let me know how they are constructed including any wiring or electronics.

These signals are not meant to be used as highway or pedestrian crossing signals, on the IPP&W. The project, as documented in another thread in these forums (Electrical) is to develop signals to protect a railroad crossing at grade, of the IPP&W RR, and the RP&M RR. The signals are made from plastic (ABS) electrical conduit components, easily found in your local builders’ supply stores.

The electrical components are readily available automotive LEDS, and lenses. The power is 12 volts DC.

This is not meant to be just a scale, pretty looking signal system, that changes as trains go by. It is to be used as a dispatcher controlled system at a specific control point on the railroad. It has to be durable, and easy to see for the operating crews. Yes, the signals are oversized, but they must be to be readily seen in full sunshine, and durable enough to stand up to the real world of outdoor railroading.

This is NOT part of a block signal system. It is just at one location, protecting the two tracks crossing each other. The signals are backed up with radio instructions from the dispatcher, who gives verbal clearances to the operators.

Yes the design of the signals does lend them to find other uses. The wiring is rather simple, without the need of complicated circuit boards. Anyone that takes the trouble to explore the use of LEDs, and understands low voltage DC power, and a double pole-double throw (DPDT) electrical switch, could build the electrical circuit.

As soon as Bob McCown approves the posting for a new LSC member (Seanna Watson), I’m sure she will elaborate on the electrical design. She, and Steve Watson have done that part of the project, which was originally started by Lawrence Watkins. I thank them all for their help.

Fred Mills

I realize the signals are large enough for over scale sized operators, but still the idea is that the signals must be followed and there is the real crutch. I really think heavy 2 x 4 “crash boards” need to be included and the signals used to allow the operator to move the crash boards. 110 volt charged crash boards may work better than 12 volt and give a stronger persuasion. You touch it and you aren’t suppose to, you’ll know it.

Failure to heed the proper signal probably requires punishment. A tour of duty as dispatcher may be the required punishment and let the offender be subjected to the abuse by the operators. it is truly humbling.

Well, if you want to get really serious, 12KV at a few milliampres, hurts like the dickens, but does no real harm.

Ric;

Some on this forum may not have a clue what “Crash Boards” are.

Crash boards were often used as a physical attention-getter at signals, such as those protecting draw bridges, or sometimes crossings.

They were breakable “Boards” that hung from poles in such a way that they would hit the cab of a locomotive if it went past a stop signal. They were activated whenever the signal showed a stop was required.

With your suggestion in mind; the design department is trying to figure out how to get operators to stand in just the correct position, so that a 4 foot piece of 2x4, will swing and hit them square on the head. Tests so far have proved unreliable, as the crews seem to vary in their choice of positions. It is thought prudent to equip the dispatcher with a heavy wooden club, and let him try to catch their attention that way.

Fred Mills

Maybe I should bring a hard hat up with me…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Oh great now we need helmets to operate our trains, oh wait I’ve got the perfect one here someplace!

Hmmmmm. A tinfoil hat that provides hydration. Brilliant! Shiney!

Fr. Fred is ready!

But, if you provide a bench for them to sit on, they just might sit down for a moment, then you could wallop them with the blunt instrument of your choice.

Don’t give him any more ideas, he seems to have figured it out by himself!