Large Scale Central

RoadRailers are gone

8/25/2024

8/25/2024 was the last run of the 2 remaining RoadRailer trains. This picture from Facebook shows NS 255 passing the tail end of NS 256 in Illinois the last day they both ran. Photo credit to Jim Pearson

It was a cool idea. I wonder what caused it’s demise. My guess would be the specialized loading facility and the time it took to secure one Vs a container that just gets dropped in the well.

I think that’s it Jon, just took up too much time compared to intermodal loading and ability to go anywhere in the system

I don’t remember when the Triple Crown service started. I first saw them at Horseshoe Curve in PA in 1995. When did TOFC get replaced by inter modal? I thing the road railers were probably an answer to TOFC requiring less equipment.

BNSF here not far from me has an intermodal yard alongside a busy road,(otherwise I would stop and watch), and they still do a lot of spine cars but no tiff, same crane picks up the trailers and plops them on the spine cars.

Intermodal service is getting very automated too.

Not sure of this, but didn’t the RoadRailer’s have to be pulled by shorter trains, that is, only so many units could be pulled because of their design. By design I’m talking about RoadRailer’s do not have the body strength to put in say in 100 car trains. Don’t know if this is correct, or not, so please let me know it there is any truth to this. Thanks for your replies.

Jon, Pete,
I think you guys are both correct and I would also like to add that I believe the roadrailers required the use of special air connections adding more maintenance. Not to mention that intermodal stacks can haul more as it’s 2 trailers not one. Also the rail cars (intermodal) are self contained not relying on the (truck) trailer to make up the train.

Here’s an interesting read on connection of air brake and handling rules for Warren Buffets railroad. Hit control + F then type in roadrailers in the pop up search box or just go to page 117 or 107.0 of the rulebook. https://fobnr.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/ABTH-05-040710.pdf

Thanks Rooster, this will take a while to read and digest!!

I swear, my newsfeed must be reading LSC posts. This came in today.

The question is do you know anyone that can model this in G Scale? I cannot as I’m short 6 roadrailers myself.

Rooster, I have enough Road Railers in a mix of road names. Mostly Triple Crown. Then make up the consist of the Lake Shore Limited using the USA cars and three Amtrak Material cars.

Don,
I believe we talked about this in the past but perhaps it’s time to add a couple Viewliners to that consist ?

Perhaps we could trade for a Railpro or two or some roadrailers (I really think I would like to go battery on some stuff).

I won’t let them go for cheap as they are the only ones in the WORLD that I’m aware of and I’d be giving away some of my modeling secrets but I really don’t need all 4 anymore as I proved my point.
Nice to see you posting and if interested PM me.
:wink: