Large Scale Central

Ripping TREX for ladder track

Wellllll, it’s not that I wasn’t warned. Good thing there was no wind today

The stuff I’m ripping is 16 ft long, I got 15 strips and the material for the spacers and splicers out of the first three 2x6. Lots and lots of chips, the first blade just about had it and I’ll do the other three planks with a new blade. That will give me about 200feet of ladder plus what’s needed for the stations.

Oh yeah, I made up a Min-Rad template from plywood, the rad is 5ft. That should keep me “curving the right way”. :lol:

This is why I decided to use redwood. Less fuss. :smiley:

Why not build a Min-Rad template of 10 ft radius? It will look better.

Glad to see you are curving to the right. :lol:

I like trex a lot for decking and it’s worked really well for ladder, although it’s hard to bend into anything smaller than a 10 foot curve. It’s hell on power tools though. It often causes my little craftsman table saw to stall

Steve Featherkile said:
This is why I decided to use redwood. Less fuss. :D

Why not build a Min-Rad template of 10 ft radius? It will look better.

Glad to see you are curving to the right. :lol:

Steve,

This is a residental lot, not an acreage. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: 10ft rad turnback loops would be “too generous” and even more dirt would need to be moved.

On that “curving”, have you ever noticed that bananas curve to the right when upside down, but to the left when correct side up? NO? You gotta pay more attention to the details! :wink: :smiley:
Watch those monkeys when they’re eating bananas, whenever they’re not monkeying with that football. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Steve,

This is a residental lot, not an acreage. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: 10ft rad turnback loops would be “too generous” and even more dirt would need to be moved.

On that “curving”, have you ever noticed that bananas curve to the right when upside down, but to the left when correct side up? NO? You gotta pay more attention to the details! :wink: :smiley:
Watch those monkeys when they’re eating bananas, whenever they’re not monkeying with that football. :wink: :lol: :lol:

No, HJ, I have never noticed that about bananas. Tell me, what were you doing when you noticed it? :lol:

Studying them at the super market, :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: it’s amazing what you can find in the oddest places. Just gotta keep your eyes open. :lol: BTW what are the chances that you know which side is up or down on a banana?? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :lol:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
. . . BTW what are the chances that you know which side is up or down on a banana?? :P :P :lol:
Hans:

You just taught us in the post above. Just look at the direction of curve to derermine whether a banana is right side up. That’s certainly information I’ll refer to as I go through life!!

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Jerry,

Every little bit helps. :smiley: And if it gets Steve off his “Right Thinking” treadmill, that’s two with one stone. :wink: :smiley:

BTW have you ever had the pleasure of driving down the road, your co-pilot tells you turn left here, but actually means turn right? Easy fix is to teach them what’s up or down on a banana. :lol: :wink: :lol:

HJ,

Of course I know which is the top of the banana. It is the pointy end that is not the bottom. So there! :smiley:

My co-pilot always tell me, “You should have turned back there.” :lol: It would be an improvement to say left when she means right.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
... your co-pilot tells you turn left here, but actually means turn right?
You mean "Turn LEFT! RIGHT HERE!"

You ain’t lived until you’ve chauffeured my ma-in-law and my wife together … both of 'em incorrigible backseat drivers … (well, MiL is driving St Peter crazy now)

Gentlemen,

Going on a 1000+km trip this past winter I suggested to SWMBO that it was perhaps a good time to buy a portable DVD so she could sit in the backseat. :wink: :confused:

I don’t own; or am not owned by either of the two…thanks be to some figer of fate…!!!

I just own a pond and an outdoor model railroad; both have minds of their own !!!

Well, let’s see… We’ve gone from Trex to saw blades, to decking to bananas, to monkeys doing something with a football, to co-pilots, to wives, back to bananas, on to mothers in law, to back seat drivers, threw in some politics (can’t do without that, here), to St. Peter, to the Flying Fickle Finger of Fate(I’m dating myself, here*), to ponds and then, finally, to outdoor railroads.

That’s about typical for this lot… :smiley: :lol: :smiley:

• How is this possible, I don’t remember the 60’s.
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Gentlemen, Going on a 1000+km trip this past winter I suggested to SWMBO that it was perhaps a good time to buy a portable DVD so she could sit in the backseat. ;) :/
And you are still alive? V-e-r-r-r-y inte-r-r-esting.
Chris Vernell said:
And you are still alive? V-e-r-r-r-y inte-r-r-esting.
Yes Chris, I didn't let her drive, either. :) And we had a friend along for the "get there" portion. There's safety when witnesses are present. :D

Bannanas grow on the trees from the bottom up

Ed

Ed DeVinney said:
Bannanas grow on the trees from the bottom up

Ed

That explains why I’m at the bottom of the bunch.

Don’t tread on me … you might fall down and be unable to get up.

Update:

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/F-PIX/LadderTrack06_s.jpg)

Above shows current state, I’ll get right with it, again. Prior to fastening the strips I clamped them to the PVC and let them sit in the heat. Looks like TREX has a memory, the curve relaxed only minimally. That is a very good thing. Now if the Big Box got more 1.5" PVC pipe I can complete the upper portion of that section and start hauling gravel and rock. My fingers are all itchy, I can hardly await that kind of interlude.

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/F-PIX//icon_tc.gif)

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Update:

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/F-PIX/LadderTrack06_s.jpg)

Above shows current state, I’ll get right with it, again. Prior to fastening the strips I clamped them to the PVC and let them sit in the heat. Looks like TREX has a memory, the curve relaxed only minimally. That is a very good thing. Now if the Big Box got more 1.5" PVC pipe I can complete the upper portion of that section and start hauling gravel and rock. My fingers are all itchy, I can hardly await that kind of interlude.

Hi , odd picture, a cat on fish pond means just one thing, trouble for others. And the green leaf on this bales, i did not know that you can buy it in this quantities, but it explains why you came up with so wild thoughts about bananas. back to business, do i get that right, on top of this two grey strips you place the track? and if yes, what is the advantage of doing so? think global PJ