Large Scale Central

Ripley’s Believe It or Not

This came across my feed tonight. Has anyone been there?

I asked the AI as I couldn’t believe it.

True, a locomotive was transported across Elephant Butte Dam by cable. In 1915, during the construction of the dam, a narrow-gauge construction locomotive was indeed transported via cables strung across the dam. This was part of the massive infrastructure project to build the dam across the Rio Grande in New Mexico. The method used to move heavy equipment, like the locomotive, was necessary due to the challenges of the dam’s location and the need to bring machinery to various parts of the construction site. The feat is remembered as an example of the engineering ingenuity of the time.

1 Like

One hell of a read WITH PICTURES so I can read it too. Now if I could get this in a pop up book I would throw down my wallet! I might have to dig out my drinking thread with a history problem. I just love the Thurmont Bank !

1 Like

Bill,
Another example would be the Michigan–California Lumber Co. at Pino Grande, CA.
Everything from woods to mill and back again came across the cable way.

Some Pictures.

If you like logging railroads the book Pino Grande, Logging railroads of the Michigan-California Lumber Co. is an interesting read

Wow Rick!

And I thought the Hay Trolley we put up in the loft was an amazing piece of engineering!

On the wish list.

There is a 1966 and the 1984 edition which really doesn’t have that much updated information.
I have both autographed by Steve.