Large Scale Central

Rick's MIK 23

Thanks Devon.

Had a little time today so started gluing in the bracing and supports. Trying a new (to me) product by Liquid Nails made for gluing PVC trim to wood in home construction, supposed to be good stuff, I sure like the way it handles.

Have now got all the wall sections and window frames masked and ready to start painting but looks like rain for the next day or two :frowning_face:

Please show the package for anyone who might want to go to their local home improvement store to acquire said adhesive.

Here ya go Lou. It seems to be holding really well, how it does over the long run only time will tell. I like it because there is very little mess and easy cleanup.

Well it rained all day so no real painting got done, maybe tomorrow. I did get a couple of interior pieces done, ceiling fan and wall clock and started a couple of light fixtures. I plan a finished interior for the sales area but don’t think it all will be finished for the Challenge.

Just pieces from the junk boxes and some fabricated parts.

1 Like

Well we finally got a little sunshine yesterday afternoon so was able to get most of the painting done and started glue up this morning.

When embossing the surface of the Sintra I find it has a tendency to bow the piece outward on the embossed side. So when gluing up the corners I use a few small finish nails as alignment pins

Edit to add.
I will push the nails all the way in once the glue fully cures.

1 Like

Finally have the loading dock area pretty well finished and was able to get the structure walls all glued together. Once I get the roof on and finished there is nothing left but details some weathering and signs. Unfortunately there is lots of those things.

We had a little more sunshine this afternoon so had the shop door open enjoying it even if it was only 45 degrees.

Rick, your brickwork (scribing) looks great. The cornice work really makes the building look authentic.

Thanks Dan, Yea, I think the Cornice really added to the overall visual interest of the building. Maybe makes up for my slacking on the different brick sizes involved in the prototype :grin:

Man I am so far behind everyone else. Nice to see all these walls going up on all these buildings. Great job Rick

Little more progress to show.

The delivery area/loading dock is pretty well complete with the trolley rails going into the walk-in freezer on the left and into the cutting floor in the center.

The building is pretty much finished on the outside, still some weathering and details to add. A finished interior wasn’t really in the plans for this build but those big windows demand something to see on the inside, soooo, I will get started on it, probably won’t finish for the Challenge but will give it a shot.

The roof is all ready to install and paint/seal as soon as I get the interior shell for the sales area figured out.

Let’s see, what else, Oh yea, the angle iron on the corners and all the bolts and pads. This old masonry building is supposed to be in Humboldt Co, California one of the earthquake capitols of the West Coast. All old buildings are retrofitted with seismic bracing. Plus it helps hide the corner seems and any misalignment of the brick pattern as it turns the corner :grin:

2 Likes

Very cool. The rail and walk in look spot on. Have lots of experience with those.

Love the earthquake bolts. In another life I was working for a real estate developer who was building a 5 story brick face apartment building. The architect called for decorative bolts but had no source. I was tasked to find them. I found a cast foam one, but it was missing the rod and nut. I sent them a railroad fishplate bolt and nut that they added to the casting and made a bunch for us. I still have a few of the extras in my basement.

3 Likes

The building shell is pretty well wrapped up, still some touchup and weathering to finish. The signs are temporary and will remain that way for the completion of the Challenge. The finish signs will have the red border and Vinyl lettering.

The roof top equipment, I guess I could add some plumbing vents but otherwise I’m leaving the roof as is. This old building just had a new roof installed, that’s why it looks so fresh :grin:

The dock view again. The base for the building is 1 inch extruded foam, all but about the top 1/4 inch will be buried in the gravel. I have 3 anchor points holding the building to the base with screws. Two screws into blocks on the inside at the back and one up into the pickle barrel in front.

I wanted the building removable from the base so I can complete the interior sales area, which I will get as much done on as I can before the deadline.

Disclaimer; the signs and the interior were never intended to be part of the Challenge build :yum: :grin:

4 Likes

Amazing. Rick your work is always top notch.

Awesome work, as always. Once that gets into a model setting it will look absolutely real. :grin:

1 Like

Hope some scale beef sides or quarters are going to wind up on the rail!!!

Rick: That looks fantastic. Nice job! I could use some help on my bank now that you are done…

Wait a second. Is that a cigarette in some sand in that barrel? Or am I seeing things?

Zoom is my friend:

Excellent work as always. Always an inspiration

Jim,
That’s a pickle barrel, hopefully no one is putting out cigarettes in it :astonished: :grin:

Remember the old days when shops like this had barrels of pickles and brine tanks for Corning meat and whole reels of cheeses in the case. Sometimes even a smoke house out back.

1 Like