Large Scale Central

Rick's MIK 2022

I have decided I NEED 3D printing just so I have some attempt at making the realistic hardware you make. I have looked at these a couple times now and they really are nice. They are nice because they are not replicas of hardware but they are real miniature hardware the way their larger counterparts would be made.

Drop-dead gorgeous work Rick!
:open_mouth:

Great work on the details, Rick. You are a true craftsman.

I am curious. What does the etching do?

I’m guessing the etching gives the brass a bit of tooth for primer and paint to stick better.

Probably. My experience painting untreated brass is that the paint scratches off very easily. At work I use Rustoleum Self Etching primer on Aluminum which seems to work well, but the parts are big enough that I can sand with 120 grit before priming.

That’s it. By etching them the paiint has a better grip and if it does get scrapped off it’s not bright brass you see but the dark coloring. Although a deep scratch will still show the brass color.

What are you using to etch it?

1 Like

I just used “Blacken-It” to darken my brass…never had much of an issue with scratching.

The Crane or the Crab …still why is it called a crab?

:upside_down_face:

Yes I did use Blacken-It to do the brass on this project only because I found a bottle at the Christmas train show/flea market last month, they haven’t produced this product in several years.

For blackening you can go to Birchwood Casey’s or JAX and get the chemicals necessary for the different metaks.

Crap Rooster, where do you come up with this stuff? LMAO over you posted video :laughing:

Well a week has gone by and it seems like I have hardly gotten anything done. Here is where I am as of tonight. Pictures are a little dark, sorry about that.

Overall view of the completed hardware on the boom and mast.

A closeup of the boom end and the mast top.

I think the base platform will be next.

1 Like

If that’s “hardly got anything done” we’re all in trouble. That looks awesome.

Vic, I think we are in trouble :wink:. Great work, Rick.

What they said. I’m still cutting wood!

Looks great Rick.

That looks fantastic Rick. I agree with Bruce about using some kind of blackening agent for brass. I’ve given up on paint.

very cool as always. your my hardware hero

Your build is looking terrific. All those little metal bits are really neat.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I appreciate them.

A little more progress.

With the mast and boom petty much complete I thought I should get the platform built to support the whole project. I had some old PT 2X4 to rip down and used some Pine 1x to build the base.

I used quick set concrete patching compound to pour the concrete piers and was pretty discourged when I pulled the forms and almost all the edges chipped off. I spent some time wondering how to fix this without starting completely over on the pour. Then it dawned on me, some people spend hours trying to get the distressed/weatherd look on the concrete and I did it in just a couple of minutes. So I am good with it and we move on .

The Redwood deck planking is all in place and stained and test fitting the derrick. Next the stiff legs to be fitted and installed.

Started cutting parts today for the Crab so will be showing some picts of that part of the build soon.

It adds character! That is my plan in every build!