Large Scale Central

Rick's MIK 2022

Cliff,
We are peons and peasants!

And pikers and… p’wannabees!

Thanks Dan, I use black leather dye and alcohol to stain and wash almost everything that goes on the railroad, just different concentrations for depth of color. Different woods react differently for depth of color at the same concentrations.

Cliff, coming from a guy that produces the amazing builds that you do all I can say is thanks.

Rooster, what is that crap? I have followed too many of your amazing builds through the years and learned too much from them to be listening to that.

A shout out to Devon and his recommendation to use Chalkboard black spray paint. I tried it on this project and really like the results especially if oversprayed with a little clear Matte finish, thanks for the info guy.

is the chain just craft store jewelry? It looks great even close up!

Rick,

Glad you like the chalkboard paint. That was one of my better accidents. The first time I tried it, it was just because it’s what I had and needed flat black paint. And then it took weathering chalks so well that I decided it was my goto flat black. It also just has a different look than regular flat black or primer.

Wow that is Amazing Rick!

Managed to get the shed sided, the roof structure built and mounted to the platform. Also got the lighting installed though it doesn’t show in these pictures. I have decided to go with “tar paper” for the roof as it would be very period correct for this type structure.

We have what, one more week to finish, think I weill make it

3 Likes

Rick, what did you use for chain on the load and what paint on it?

Pete,
Sorry I can’t really answer your question. This chain came on some Bachmann log cars, I bought from a friend, The chain was holding on log loads. I removed the loads, lengthened the cars, and threw the chain in a junk box until now. If I had to guess I would say some craft store product, and it does look good doesn’t it?

Rick, the chain has a very real, heavy look to it, I have not looked at a craft store, but may need to start looking as I have some flatcars the need loads

Well today was the day, all finished, then as I was taking a couple of pictures to post I realized that I had forgotten the cleats up one of the stiff legs for access to the mast head for maintenance and rigging.

Back to the bench for that and then it will be done unless I think of something else forgotton or overlooked :grin: At least there is still a few days left :smiley:

More pictures at the close of the Challange.

Flats are all the rage these day’s so what the heck are you gonna do with that thing that is obstructing the right of way?

This was just for a couple of quick pictures it has a permanent home waiting at the sawmill complex.

Awesome final model Rick!!

It’ll sure look amazing track-side! Vs. track-on. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

How does the winch operator switch the motor operation from one drum to the other? Just curios…
[edit: now I see it, never mind]

The details are wonderful, and the new shed and its interior are super. And even birdies on the roof!

Ha Ha i missed that. Great detail Rick

Where did you find scale Gertrude and Heathcliff?

Most may get the reference. Young ones probably will not

Rick,

I am getting caught up on everyone’s builds, and, WOW! You had a picture in this thread I thought was your prototype!

Eric

All done and installed on the railroad at the mill yards.

For all the final pictures check the Challenge thread here 2022 MIK's Build Challenge, Post your photos HERE for VOTING - #8 by Rick_Marty

2 Likes

that came out really good. amazing work as always

Excellent build Rick. How about a leg up for this old guy I can’t quite reach my foot to the truck bed for the first step :innocent: :sunglasses: