Large Scale Central

Review Wanted: Bachmann Spectrum Mogul

I am wondering what the opinions are of the Bachmann Spectrum Moguls. Form wise it would be a wonderful as is stand in for my prototypes Grant Mogul as they look very similiar. With a little bashing it could be made to look very much like the Grants I am interested in. But being a cheap SOB its hard for me to drop the cash on them. But if they are a good product it might well be worth my time to buy these (I would want 2 over time) as opposed to scratch building two locos.

Are they pretty reflective of 1:20.3 or is that a loose scale?

Devon,

I don’t have a Mogul but I have the 4-4-0 (same superstructure and drive, but one fewer drive axle). I’m pretty impressed with it – it’s definitely not 1:22.5 (it’s bigger than an LGB Mogul) but it also would look totally ridiculous in front of some D&RGW cars (as they’re pretty large).

Watch out for the right deal – I got this for $150 a few weeks back on eBay and I’m pretty pleased with it; runs smoothly and quietly, pulls great, tracks well on LGB R3 curves and switches. It doesn’t seem all that fragile either.

https://photos-1.dropbox.com/t/2/AABXI1InqbSFDWWX28OeLzpW562MOVUuqsRumXV9DsNteg/12/1998236/jpeg/32x32/1/1435626000/0/2/IMG_20150627_082603187.jpg/CJz7eSABIAIgAyAEIAUgBiAHKAEoAg/gBZLP43Gij1xhZ-ZWO5ImHgSGHidbIEEQcvqa_6cGiA?size=1600x1200&size_mode=2

If you want actual pics let me know – my phone is definitely not the best camera.

Devon, I too had the 4-4-0, and it is real big compared to my other equipment, so I sold it. I would say that it is 1:20.3 or darn close. If the Mogul is in fact the same superstructure, then it would be in the same scale.

Edit: I just looked and GardenRalways does not have a review for this locomotive. I find that kind of odd. George Shreyer doesn’t have any information in it either. Sorry Devon, I tried.

Do you mean one of these ? Nice locos. Got lucky, a shop near me was clearing out large scale stuff 8 years ago and got I it for £100, new and boxed (along with a Connie for the same price).

Runs and pulls well despite its size and weight. Get rid of the suppressors mounted on the motor end bell. They are notorious for burning out and stopping the loco. Some of the complicated dummy valve gear gubbins mounted between the wheels can be a bit of a pain if you need to strip the motor block. And make sure you keep everything done up tight so the motions don’t go out of quarter. The wheel retainer screws are hidden underneath little “hub caps” in the wheel centres. Otherwise my favourite loco in the fleet (along with my K-27), if only for looks alone. Better in the flesh than in my picture.

If you see old pics of these locos in real life they really were quite tiny compare to a JS car. This one in the picture is an AMS car to the same scale as the loco. looks just like the olde tyme photo I saw. Max

Robbie Hanson said:

Devon,

I don’t have a Mogul but I have the 4-4-0 (same superstructure and drive, but one fewer drive axle). I’m pretty impressed with it – it’s definitely not 1:22.5 (it’s bigger than an LGB Mogul) but it also would look totally ridiculous in front of some D&RGW cars (as they’re pretty large).

Watch out for the right deal – I got this for $150 a few weeks back on eBay and I’m pretty pleased with it; runs smoothly and quietly, pulls great, tracks well on LGB R3 curves and switches. It doesn’t seem all that fragile either.

https://photos-1.dropbox.com/t/2/AABXI1InqbSFDWWX28OeLzpW562MOVUuqsRumXV9DsNteg/12/1998236/jpeg/32x32/1/1435626000/0/2/IMG_20150627_082603187.jpg/CJz7eSABIAIgAyAEIAUgBiAHKAEoAg/gBZLP43Gij1xhZ-ZWO5ImHgSGHidbIEEQcvqa_6cGiA?size=1600x1200&size_mode=2

If you want actual pics let me know – my phone is definitely not the best camera.

Link seems dead

David Maynard said:

Devon, I too had the 4-4-0, and it is real big compared to my other equipment, so I sold it. I would say that it is 1:20.3 or darn close. If the Mogul is in fact the same superstructure, then it would be in the same scale.

Edit: I just looked and GardenRalways does not have a review for this locomotive. I find that kind of odd. George Shreyer doesn’t have any information in it either. Sorry Devon, I tried.

I poked around and could find many published reviews either.

Thanks guys. That’s what I like to hear. I am strongly thinking about going this route and looking to pick them up but will need to have money stashed away. The fact that they look tiny behind D&RG equipment sounds about right. The Grants I want to mimic were rather small locos. I am glad people have had good luck with them. They sure look nice and would make a great starting point for an easy bash.

This is from Greg Elmassian’s page on the Bachmann Mogul.

Steve Featherkile said:

This is from Greg Elmassian’s page on the Bachmann Mogul.

That’s a good reference if I do get one or two and have to convert it to battery/RC

To my knowledge, the model is pretty spot-on for its prototype (Baldwin 8-20 D). These weren’t large locos, pretty much the same size as E&P #4 (Baldwin 8-18 C), shown here pulling coaches on the D&S (from the D&S’s web site)

They run well, though they use the same gear as it on the “Connie,” and it is likewise prone to cracking, though not nearly as common. (Slight difference in axle diameter, I would presume.) Get a spare from NWSL to have on hand for if/when it happens. Alas, changing that gear is a bugger and a half because of the valve gear that’s also on that axle, but do yourself a favor and get a bread tie or something similar to hold everything in place as you remove it.

Stock from the factory, the center driver has two “pins” that stick down below the railhead on the middle (blind) driver. This is to keep the driver over the rails on sharp curves. If your curves are 5’ radius or greater, you can safely remove this and not worry. The middle driver will still have some lateral play, but you can slip in a spacer between the bearing block and the valve gear to reduce this. I used a slice from a Bic pen barrel. It might even handle 4’ radius, but my minimums are 5’, so I can’t say for certain.

I’ve found the Bachmann motor in mine gets hot and lethargic after a while. When this happens, the heat softens the grease, which then drains out of the access port in the gearbox. I replaced the motor with an older Sagami can motor (no longer made) and it made a night-and-day difference in performance. Alas, the brushes went out on the replacement motor, so I replaced it again with another Bachmann motor, and the issues returned. So I’ve got to replace it again with another Sagami motor I found buried in a parts box. Note that my 4-4-0, which uses the same Bachmann motor and gearbox has no such issues, so it could also have something to do with the control system (Airwire in the 2-6-0 vs. Revolution in the 4-4-0.)

NWSL sells a replacement motor that I think is identical to the Sagami motor I’ve got, but I’ve not bought one to check. Due to the age of my Sagami motor, I’m thinking I may be better served just getting a new motor. That’s a project for after the convention…

Overall, it’s a great locomotive. It’s actually the loco that “convinced” me to switch to 1:20.3. Of course, mine’s now been rebuilt with a larger boiler and much more modern fittings, but the original one is still a looker.

Know also that Bachmann’s supposed to be re-introducing the 2-6-0 with upgraded electronics and I’m led to believe upgraded mechanics as well. I don’t know how it will compare with regard to price compared to the older version. They’re slated to be at the NGRC next week, so I’ll bug them about it when I see them.

Later,

K

Kevin,

Thanks. I am glad these locos are well liked. Sounds like a few of the typical B-mann problems but nothing that says don’t buy them.