Large Scale Central

Review: B'mann 3 Truck Shay - WHY?

Why review a three-truck shay? Considering there may be buyers looking IF it is accurate Bachmann is discontinuing production of their Spectrum G scale line - see our thread on shops closing - then there may be motivation to buy.

I bought mine over three years ago for $369.00 at a train show - the Oregon Lumber Company. It has the “improved” trucks as discussed years ago on this site and available as replacements from TRAINWORLD. As I write this, it is offered by TRAINWORLD at $499.00. The unlabeled model is $399.00.

Review:

It is well-built, loaded with details that can be fragile - lift from cab and front.

Depending on which side you watch, it is animated.

Running quality is excellent - be certain to FULLY lube it before running, including the piston/drive rod assembly.

If you have any five foot diameter curves, you will run it one direction as the drive shaft to the trucks will come out of the truck U joints when inside of the curve. I have to run it in one direction on the mining line. Eight foot diameter minimum on the main line section of our layout is no problem.

Make your choice of connection between the cab and third truck based on your track curves.

The loco appears to favor level track.

There is ample track pickup.

As far as sound, I don’t have any data.

Wendell Hanks said:

Why review a three-truck shay? Considering there may be buyers looking IF it is accurate Bachmann is discontinuing production of their Spectrum G scale line - see our thread on shops closing - then there may be motivation to buy.

I bought mine over three years ago for $369.00 at a train show - the Oregon Lumber Company. It has the “improved” trucks as discussed years ago on this site and available as replacements from TRAINWORLD. As I write this, it is offered by TRAINWORLD at $499.00. The unlabeled model is $399.00.

Review:

It is well-built, loaded with details that can be fragile - lift from cab and front.

Depending on which side you watch, it is animated.

Running quality is excellent - be certain to FULLY lube it before running, including the piston/drive rod assembly.

If you have any five foot diameter curves, you will run it one direction as the drive shaft to the trucks will come out of the truck U joints when inside of the curve. I have to run it in one direction on the mining line. Eight foot diameter minimum on the main line section of our layout is no problem.

Make your choice of connection between the cab and third truck based on your track curves.

The loco appears to favor level track.

There is ample track pickup.

As far as sound, I don’t have any data.

I am planning on using Aristo 6.5’ dia., that are closer to 7’ dia. in reality, on one part of the layout, do you think the 3 truck should be fine with them? All the rest of the track and turnouts will be 8’ dia.

A Shay that favors level track ? That’s just not right !

Vic,

7 foot diameter OK?

I think it would work OK with the loco pointed either direction. This may be a clumsy explnation, but the point is IF the outside arc of the curve causes the loco’s drive side shafts – which power the trucks and slide in and out pending on the curve – to leave the truck sleeves, then turn the engine around and point it the opposite direction. My 5’ diameter curve is the only one on the mining line. If it were an S or later repeated the opposite way, I would have problems with the loco’s needing a second direction turn. As it is, it runs forward and backward easily keeping the drive shafts in the truck’s sleeves once the direction was determined.

Wendell

I bought two of these about four years ago, at $300 each! Both are OLC, but a pal relieved me of one of them. They run beautifully, provided that they are cared for using the protocol noted in the DVD that comes with them. With well over 300 MOVING parts, they MUST be lubed using the correct grades of the stuff before running for the first time, else great unpleasantness will take place. This also involved the motor-driven trucks - greasing them internally before running was a good idea in our case, as they were bone-dry/devoid of ANY detectable lube on the gears.

I use the LaBelle multi-grade set - YMMD.

I also have two of the original run two-truck Shays with the yet-to-be-replaced original trucks. Yuppers, almost fifteen years later, they are still running perfectly, but I DO have a couple of sets of replacement metal trucks in case.

They are truly stunning models in every respect, and represent[ed] astonishing value for money, even when they were new to modellers. I fear that if they go, we will never see anything like them again. Note that Accucraft made electric versions for around $3000 or so. Sure, they were metal, but even the plastic Bachmann version had to be hand-assembled.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Tac-

Good to hear from you!

Your emphasis on lubing is accurate.

These locos are animated with the gearing and are interesting to watch-- especially crawling up a grade with 10 dump cars.

Wendell

I have had one trouble free for about 7 years now. I would have to say that I love it. And don’t let lubricating it scare you, it only takes a few minutes and doesn’t have to be done every time you run it. I use Aero-Car Hobby Lubricants on mine with great success.

Me and pal Broos have six of them between us - and watching all of THEM crawling around is nothing less than magic. Add my live-steamer into that ‘Shay-up’ brings it all into the next dimension.

tac

OVGRS

I have a 3 truck shay and it is such a cool machine. I bought mine used and it had issues with the plug to the tender so I fixed it best I could then built a tote for it so I wouldn’t have to separate each time the loco went out for run.

In my opinion the plugs that are hard to access is a weak spot in the design. Otherwise what a great loco. Mine also has factory sound which is pretty good. I don’t use DCC so I am missing out on the sounds that are possible.

Most of my track curves are 8 and 10 foot diameter but I have a horseshoe curve of 5’ and the 3 truck shay makes it through without issues going both ways. I also have a Bachmann 2-6-6-2 and that one also will make it but only if the track is level.

The one place I do have a problem with it is when it heads out of my main yard through a Aristo WYE switch and the weight of the engine pushes the track gauge apart over the points and it falls into the switch.

AnaKramer on Ebay is having a sale on 3 truck shays right now. He has a few different roadnames and the price hovers around $300 including shipping! I’m seriously considering buying another. I messaged him the other day to see if he has any left with sound but he doesn’t.